Click here to read the full case study or continue reading to learn more.
Why does Professor Joe Cooke utilize MyLab Business Law?
Cooke had been using MyLab programs in his other courses when he was tasked with bringing the Business Law course online for Fall 2015. Having used and reviewed other publisher programs in the past, he trusted MyLab to offer his students the variety of assignments and activities necessary for a meaningful and interactive online course.
How was MyLab Business Law implemented?
Business Law I is a one-quarter, five-credit course and required of business majors. Following a Pearson best practice, Cooke assigns Chapter 0: Getting Started with MyLab, which is due at midnight on the first day of class. Other MyLab assignments include:
- Chapter warm-up exercises: These are a pre-lecture assignment with ten, pooled, multiple-choice questions that gauge their understanding of essential chapter concepts.
- Video case studies: These are completed pre-lecture and followed by five multiple-choice questions and students have unlimited attempts at completion.
- Dynamic Study Modules (DSM): These are also completed pre-lecture with the expectation they will help students to understand the basic terminology in lecture.
- Mini Sims: Students make a series of decisions, and the Mini Sim branches, creating various scenario paths based on answers given.
- Writing Space assignments: These help Cooke’s students develop the critical-thinking and analytical skills they need for success.
- Chapter quizzes: They are open book, untimed, and students have unlimited attempts at completion.
MyLab assignments account for 84% of the total course grade.
Were students successful in the course?
Students were divided into two groups based on their average MyLab DSM/Mini Sim score.
- Every student who scored above average on these MyLab assignments earned a final course grade of A.
- Students scoring above average on these assignments earned MyLab writing assignment scores 24 percentage points higher than students who scored below average.
Did students like using MyLab Business law?
Responses from the Winter 2018 end-of-semester survey of Cooke’s students indicate that the majority of responding students recognize the value of MyLab Business Law.
- 100% of respondents agreed that their understanding of the course material increased as a result of using MyLab.
- 100% of respondents agreed that the use of MyLab positively impacted their quiz scores.
One student said:
“The ability to continue to study and attempt to improve my scores has greatly facilitated my ability to learn the materials in MyLab Business Law.”
Read the full findings here
Learn more about how MyLab Business Law could benefit your course