Click here to read the full case study or continue reading to learn more.
Why did Professor Miriam Huddleston adopt MyLab Introduction to Business?
In Fall 2014, Huddleston and other faculty adopted MyLab anticipating it would encourage students participate more in their own learning and to engage with and read the textbook. In Fall 2016, the Harford instructors set out to discern if the Study Plan in MyLab would provide a further opportunity for students to engage with the course material outside of class.
How was MyLab Introduction to Business implemented?
Introduction to Business is a one-semester, three-credit course. MyLab Introduction to Business is required and students use it for homework assignments and additional practice.Students complete one homework assignment in MyLab each week, and Huddleston assigns both the video and simulation questions, as available, for a total of 17 assignments overall. MyLab assignments account for 24% of the total course grade and include:
- Decision Making Mini-Simulations: Students have two attempts at completion.
- Video assignments: Students have two attempts at completion.
- Quizzes: MyLab quizzes are optional and intended for additional practice.
- Learning games: Students completed two or three interactive learning games per chapter.
The study plan pilot included chapters 4 and 10 of the textbook in a semi-controlled environment. Upon completion of the Study Plan, students were given unannounced in-class quizzes to assess content understanding.
Were students successful in the course?
Students were divided into two groups based on their use of the MyLab Study Plan for chapters 4 and 10 only.
- Students completing the Study Plan earned substantially higher average in-class quiz scores for that specific chapter only.
For Huddleston’s sections only, additional MyLab analysis was completed.
- A strong positive correlation exists between MyLab simulation scores and MyLab video assignment scores.
Additionally, students were divided into two groups based on the average number of total MyLab assignments skipped.
- Students who completed more than the average number of assignments skipped earned higher average quiz and exam scores than students who skipped more than the average number of MyLab assignments.
Do students like using MyLab Introduction to Business?
Responses from the Fall 2016 end-of-semester, voluntary survey of Huddleston’s students indicate that the majority of responding students recognize the value of MyLab Introduction to Business.
- 97 percent of students strongly agree or agree that their understanding of the course material increased as a result of using MyLab.
One student said:
“The study plan helped me prepare adequately for every exam I took.”
Read the full findings here
Learn more about how MyLab Introduction to Business could benefit your course