Young Children With Special Needs, Pearson eText with Loose-Leaf Version -- Access Card Package, 6th edition
Published by Pearson (September 11th 2013) - Copyright © 2014
A collection of materials so you have everything you need for your course.
The definitive resource for early interventionists for over thirty years!
Young Children with Special Needs, 6/e is the field's classic book on early childhood special education. Taking a unique perspective, it offers readers a solid foundation in child development and addresses how children with special needs develop differently. Rich with expertise, this edited work features contributions from leading educators within each developmental domain. Readers learn how to detect impairments, disorders, and delays and provide early support for children with special needs. Chapters explore assessment and intervention methods, and the role diversity and technology play in both.
New to this Edition:
- Pam Epley and Kathleen Kyzar now author Chapter 3—providing the latest information about family-professional partnerships, family system theory, family-centered practice, family supports, family outcomes, natural environments, and skills for effectively partnering with families.
- Partnerships with Families material appears earlier in the text (Chapter 3)—to reflect the integral role family plays in serving young children with special needs.
- A separate chapter on fine-motor and oral-motor development now appears as Chapter 5—discussing topics such as reach, grasp, and manipulation and how these skills are impacted in children with cerebral palsy, Down's syndrome, and autism spectrum disorders.
- A separate chapter on self-care development now appears as Chapter 6—covering topics such as dressing, grooming, and feeding and which adaptive strategies are most effective.
- More on new federal laws and new initiatives—such as Response-to-Intervention—appear in this edition.
- Improved graphics—and new instructor supplements save time for both students and instructors.
Table of contents
PART I: FOUNDATIONS
1. Introduction to Young Children with Special Needs
2. Typical Development and Factors Affecting Development
3. Partnerships with Families
PART II: DEVELOPMENTAL DOMAINS
4. Gross Motor Development
5. Fine-Motor and Oral Motor Development
6. Self-Care Development and Adaptive Behavior
7. Cognitive Development
8. Communication Development
9. Social and Emotional Development
PART III: PRINCIPLES OF ASSESSMENT AND INTERVENTION
10. Assessment of Young Children
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material