Making the business case for the Apprenticeship Levy

Image by javi_indy - Freepik

Effective training is a long-term commitment. But the benefits of the Apprenticeship Levy can start now.

The Apprenticeship Levy's been set up to incentivise employers to introduce essential training or enhance their existing provision. The goal is to secure a sustainable supply of skilled workers, increasing productivity, boosting the economy and handing individuals the tools and flexibility to pursue their career goals.

There are numerous advantages to employers and the biggest benefits come from embracing the Levy for the long haul. But there are several reasons it makes good business sense to start exploring your options now.

Employers can redeem their contributions and offset existing training costs while meeting an urgent need for management training. In turn, the investment in skills creates a more capable workforce, enhancing service and increasing the bottom line. 

Here are some of the key benefits:

Immediate Benefits

Access significant funding

The co-funding principle means employers can pay 10% towards training and the Government will pay the rest (90%). This means investing £10m could bring in £90m of additional funding.

Reduce recruitment costs

Apprenticeships can reduce dependence on expensive graduates who are harder to retain. Employers can also train their existing staff, combining on-the-job experience with sought-after skills.

Recoup your tax

You can either write off the Levy or put it to work. Financial Directors will appreciate the tax efficiency at year end.

Long-term Benefits

Boost retention

Apprenticeships offer employees the career development opportunities they desire, helping to create a more highly skilled, loyal workforce.

Employees can earn while they learn

Apprenticeships enable learners to pursue professional development and gain valuable practical experience while earning money (and avoiding student debt).

Enhance your brand

Training and development set businesses apart in a competitive market place, enabling them to attract the best talent and give them the edge in close bids.

Secure long-term revenue

Enhanced skills mean higher productivity and better service. Combined with the wider benefits to brand, training places businesses ahead of their competition.

Plain sailing?

The Apprenticeship Levy is not without its challenges. Different businesses will face different hurdles and interpreting the minutiae of the legislation can be daunting.

We’ve created a guide to help employers tackle the key issues.