Year Levels F–6
Curriculum ACT, NSW, NT, QLD, SA, TAS, VIC, WA
Resource Formats Print, Digital
Learning Focus Shared reading, Guided reading, Independent reading, Take-home reading, Oral language
Pearson Primary Super Savers Sale
Get up to 30% off on Bug Club resources
Give your school a budget-friendly resource boost with up to 30% off on Bug Club, Bug Club Plays and Bug Club Comics resources and thousands of other primary school resources including individual titles and packs.
This exciting sale is only on until the end of 2023 or while stocks last, so we recommend getting in quick!Explore the Super Savers Sale
What it is
Bug Club supports the effective and engaging teaching of reading for students in Foundation to Year 6 with nearly 400 feature-packed readers. Every step is reinforced with teaching tools, including an online teaching and learning platform to support modelled whole-class reading, guided reading, independent and take-home reading.
What it includes
Discover how Bug Club can make a difference.
- Over 180 titles including:
- finely levelled fiction guided readers for reading levels 1 to 30
- comics and graphic novels broadly aligned to levels 6-30.
- Popular characters from film and TV, and interesting and recurring characters developed specifically for Bug Club to engage students.
- Highly engaging narratives covering a range of text types and a variety of genres, including:
- fairy tales
- science fiction
- Appealing short stories and novels at higher levels.
- Comics and graphic novels ideal for visual learners and for teaching visual literacy.
- Contemporary designs and a range of full colour illustration styles for visual literacy.
- Over 140 non-fiction guided readers for reading levels 1 to 30.
- Authentic information texts on age-appropriate, high-interest topics.
- Highly appealing text types including:
- persuasive texts
- Broad range of cross-curricular links to Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Fabulous photographs, illustrations, and diagrams for visual literacy skills.
- Over 30 non-fiction titles designed by Dorling Kindersley.
Plays to Read
- 65 plays broadly aligned to reading levels 6 to 30.
- written by talented Australian and international authors, including Julia Donaldson, author of The Gruffalo.
- each play includes notes on the inside front cover to help guide reading or fun facts about the topic.
- each play is also supported with teaching notes and blackline masters on ActiveLearn Primary.
- On ActiveLearn Primary students have the option to mute audio for a chosen character, providing more opportunities for plays to be reread.
ActiveLearn Primary is an online teaching and learning hub for reading.
With Bug Club on ActiveLearn Primary you can:
- search for and filter nearly 400 books by book band, reading level or Fountas & Pinnell level
- find 65 plays broadly aligned to Reading Levels 5-30 where students can also choose to be a character and the audio for that character does not play
- track and report on students’ reading progress based on completion of books and comprehension quizzes
- view and download guided reading notes and blackline masters, curriculum correlation and scope and sequence charts to help with planning, and more.
Find out more about ActiveLearn Primary.
These guides will walk you through getting started with Bug Club on ActiveLearn Primary.
- ActiveLearn Primary - Bug Club - Getting Started Guide For Teachers
- ActiveLearn Primary - Getting Started Guide For Schools
- ActiveLearn Primary - Getting Started Guide For Parents
Samples & downloads
- Bug Club - Plays to Read sample - Run Frank Run!
- Bug Club - Guided Reading Notes sample - Run Frank Run!
- Bug Club - Blackline Masters sample - Run Frank Run!
- Bug Club - Components chart
- Bug Club Plays - Components chart