Bug Club Phonics is a synthetic phonics program based on Letters and Sounds phonic phases and sets that provides everything needed to help students succeed in early reading.
Year Levels F–2
Curriculum ACT, NSW, NT, QLD, SA, TAS, VIC, WA
Resource Formats Print, Digital
Learning Focus Synthetic phonics and decodable readers, Modelled reading, Independent reading, Take-home reading
Last Updated Feb 2023
Pearson Primary Super Savers Sale
Get up to 10% off on Bug Club Phonics resources
Give your school a budget-friendly resource boost with up to 10% off on hundreds of Bug Club Phonics resources and up to 30% off on thousands of other primary school resources including individual titles and packs.
This exciting sale is only on until the end of 2023 or while stocks last, so we recommend getting in quick!Explore the Super Savers Sale
What it is
Bug Club Phonics consists of:
- a comprehensive online teaching program on ActiveLearn Primary to deliver effective explicit teaching with:
- 165 phonemic awareness, phoneme and language lesson plans
- video animations
- sound mats and, grapheme charts
- interactive assessments, games and more
- over 170 fiction and non-fiction decodable readers available in print and as eBooks to support lessons.
What it includes
Discover how Bug Club Phonics makes a difference.
There are over 200 Bug Club Phonics fiction and non-fiction levelled readers currently available. The readers:
- are available as both print books and eBooks
- are grouped in a developing order based on the order of sounds
- include detailed notes inside each title to support your instruction.
Bug Club Phonics readers
- There are over 170 fiction and non-fiction deliberately constructed readers for whole-class explicit instruction and independent and take-home reading.
- The readers are based on Letters and Sounds phonic phases and sets, and include phonemic awareness.
- Fiction titles feature popular CBeebies Alphablock characters and recurring characters to help students relate to the texts.
- Non-fiction titles feature interesting cross curricular topics.
- All titles are available as both print books and eBooks.
- All books include detailed notes inside each title to support your instruction.
Readers for consolidation
- There are 31 phonic fiction readers to practise and consolidate phonics skills.
- These broadband-levelled readers engage emergent and early readers and are only available in print.
ActiveLearn Primary is an online teaching and learning hub for reading.
Bug Club Phonics on ActiveLearn Primary features:
- comprehensive lesson plans with embedded assessments and consolidation
- video animations featuring entertaining Cbeebies Alphablock characters
- interactive whiteboard activities that deliver effective synthetic phonics-based teaching
- over 170 decodable fiction and non-fiction books with embedded quizzes which focus on assessing phonic knowledge
- games to encourage even the most reluctant readers
- tests to help students prepare for the year 1 phonics screening test
- downloadable blackline masters and assessments and curriculum correlation charts to assist with planning, and further classroom resources.
These guides and videos will walk you through getting started with Bug Club Phonics on ActiveLearn Primary.
Getting started guides
Getting started with ActiveLearn Primary:
- ActiveLearn Primary - Getting Started Guide For Schools
- ActiveLearn Primary - Getting Started Guide For Parents
Getting started with Bug Club Phonics on ActiveLearn Primary:
- ActiveLearn Primary - Bug Club Phonics - Getting Started Guide For Teachers
- ActiveLearn Primary - Bug Club Phonics - Teaching Program Guide
An overview of Bug Club Phonics
How to make the most of your phoneme and language lessons using the magnetic board
Bug Club Phonics resources
Samples & downloads
- Bug Club Phonics - Components chart
- Bug Club Phonics - Phase 1: A Day At The Beach - sample pages
- Bug Club Phonics - Phase 2: At A Tip - sample pages
- Bug Club Phonics - Phase 4: Drums - sample pages
- Bug Club Phonics - Phase 5: Whooperoo! - sample pages