Updated to cover all aspects of the NSW Stage 6 syllabus.
Year Levels 11–12
Resource Formats Print, Digital
What it is
The updated New Senior Mathematics, 3rd Edition comprehensively covers the NSW Stage 6 syllabus and includes new topics, digital technology features, and updated assessment preparation. Resources include:
- Advanced, Extension 1 and Extension 2 student books with combined and colour coded Year 11 and 12 content
- an accompanying eBook designed as a digital student book
- a worked solutions book.
What it includes
Discover how New Senior Mathematics improves teaching outcomes.
The combined student books include:
- five sample exam-style papers and solutions per title
- 15-30 additional questions for every chapter with fully worked solutions
- two investigation-style assignments per title to support NESA-specified internal assessment tasks
- teaching programs and curriculum grids to support implementation
The eBook is an electronic textbook that students can access on any device, online or offline. It features digital content and activities, including graphing software and spreadsheets to help students engage on their devices.
Worked solutions books
The student worked solutions book includes all odd numbered solutions. The new edition also comes with worked solutions for every even numbered question in the teacher-only section of the eBook.
Updates to New Senior Mathematics, 3rd Edition
Hear Bob Aus go through the requirements of the new syllabus and the new chapter content of the series.
New Senior Mathematics, 3rd Edition digital assets
Hear from Julian Lumb about the digital assets for the series offer a blended way of teaching and learning.
Table of contents
Mathematics Advanced Year 11 & 12 Student Book
1 Algebraic techniques
3 Further algebraic techniques
5 Equations and functions
6 Further trigonometry
7 Introduction to differentiation
8 Exponential and logarithmic functions
10 Discrete probability distributions
11 Descriptive statistics
12 Trigonometric functions and graphs
13 Differential calculus
14 The first and second derivative
15 Graphing techniques
16 The anti-derivative
17 Integral calculus
18 Financial mathematics
19 Bivariate data analysis
20 Random variables
Table of contents
Mathematics Extension 1 Year 11 & 12 Student Book
1 Further work with functions
3 Graphing functions
4 Further trigonometric identities
5 Inverse functions
6 Permutations and combinations
7 Rates of change and their application
8 Trigonometric equations
9 Proof by mathematical induction
10 Vectors in two dimensions
11 Applications of calculus
12 Differential equations
13 Motion, forces and projectiles
14 The binomial distribution
Table of contents
Mathematics Extension 2 Year 12 Student Book
1 Complex numbers
2 The nature of proof
3 Further work on vectors
4 Further integration
Meet the authors
J.B. Fitzpatrick’s book New Senior Mathematics, released in 1983, was so popular it remained in print for almost 30 years. It stood the test of time thanks to the quality, rigour and variety of questions, as well as its accuracy and high mathematical standards.
As Fitzpatrick wrote in 1983, “Mathematics, like many other things, is best learnt by doing. A student begins to appreciate the power of mathematics when he or she has achieved a mastery of basic techniques, not after reading lengthy explanations … The emphasis throughout the book is on the understanding of mathematical concepts.”
Bob Aus taught in New South Wales high schools for 40 years, retiring in 2007. Aus taught all courses from years 7-12 up to Level 1/4 unit/Extension 2. He has marked HSC examination papers and has been involved in the Standards Setting Process as Judge and Chief Judge for the three calculus-based courses over four years.
Aus’s first publication was in 1983. He has been involved in writing a range of textbooks and study guides since then, including revising and updating the New Senior Mathematics series in 2013. He was also involved in writing the Pearson National Curriculum books for years 7–10.
- New Senior Mathematics Advanced Year 11 & 12 - Student Book sample Download PDF (1.5MB)
- New Senior Mathematics Advanced Year 11 & 12 - Student Worked Solutions Book sample Download PDF (836KB)
- New Senior Mathematics Advanced Year 11 & 12 - Student Worked Solutions Book Table of Contents Download PDF (520KB)
- New Senior Mathematics Advanced Year 11 & 12 - Student Book Table of Contents Download PDF (913KB)
- New Senior Mathematics Extension 1 Year 11 & 12 - Student Book sample Download PDF (2.9MB)
- New Senior Mathematics Extension 1 Year 11 & 12 - Student Worked Solutions Book sample Download PDF (1.4MB)