The 3rd Edition of Fountas & Pinnell BAS has been adapted for the Australian market and includes updated components, levelled books and online resources.
Year Levels F–8
Curriculum ACT, NSW, NT, QLD, SA, TAS, VIC, WA
Resource Formats Print, Digital
Learning Focus Benchmarking and assessment
What it is
The Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment System enables educators to observe, document and interpret students’ reading behaviours through one-on-one formative and summative assessments using precisely levelled fiction and non-fiction benchmark books. Each book has a three-part Recording Form to guide assessment:
- In part one, students read aloud and teachers record reading behaviour.
- In part two, teachers engage students in a detailed comprehension conversation.
- In part three, students are prompted to draw/write their responses to the text.
What it includes
Discover how the Benchmark Assessment System improves teaching outcomes.
Leveled benchmark books to engage and inform
Applying the F&P Text Level Gradient™ ensures each Benchmark Assessment System book was:
- developed under the careful direction and supervision of Irene Fountas and Gay Su Pinnell according to strict leveling protocols
- vetted by a team of experienced classroom teachers to assure proper leveling
- measured in a formal field study conducted by Heinemann to verify leveling across a broad spectrum of students.
Each Benchmark System includes:
- The Fountas & Pinnell Literacy Continuum, Expanded Edition: the essential planning tool for interpreting assessment data and planning responsive teaching
- Assessment Guide: a guide to implementing BAS, including an extensive overview; instructions on administering, coding and scoring; case study examples; and much more
- Assessment Forms Book: bound master copy of each assessment form
- Student Forms Book: optional assessments that allow teachers to gather additional diagnostic information to help identify a reader’s needs
- F&P Calculator/Stopwatch: a tool to calculate students’ reading rate, percentage of accuracy, and self-correction ratio
- Student Folders: Individual folders designed to store assessment results and record a longitudinal record of progress that can be passed from grade to grade, K–8.
BAS Online Resources
Purchasing a Benchmark Assessment System gives you access to the Benchmark Assessment System online resources. These resources include:
- recording forms
- summary forms
- optional assessments
- assessment forms book resources
- professional development videos
- tutorial videos.
Fountas & Pinnell Online Data Management System
Purchasing a Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment System also provides 12 months of complimentary access to the Online Data Management System (ODMS). The ODMS is a secure and efficient way for teachers and administrators to manage assessment data. It allows you to:
- collect, analyse and report data at the individual and class level
- monitor progress of instructional and independent reading levels
- customise reports to meet class and school needs.
Enhanced Comprehension Conversation
Let's Get Practical
Samples & downloads
- Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment System Chart - Factors Related to Text Difficulty
- Fountas & Pinnell Chart - Instructional Level Expectations for Reading
More from Fountas & Pinnell Literacy
Fountas & Pinnell Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI)
Use leveled books and fast-paced lessons to turn struggling readers into success stories.
Fountas & Pinnell Classroom™
Ignite learning for students from PreK to 6 with hundreds of engaging texts, lessons and resources.