Comprehensive, contemporary, and cutting-edge, Policing Today presents students with an introduction to policing that balances theory, practice, and research.
The book’s three primary features are designed to encourage students to challenge their assumptions and think critically about the role of law enforcement in the .United States.
Chapter opening “Think About It” case studies provide a real-world context and thought-provoking questions for students to consider as they read each chapter.
“You Decide” scenarios challenge students to make the same types of critical and ethical decisions that law enforcement professionals face every day.
“Does It Work?” boxes present evidence-based critiques of common policing practices to show what the research says works and what does not work.
Table of contents
SECTION I: FOUNDATIONS
1. Origins and Evolution of Policing
2. Policing in American Context
3. Police and the Criminal Justice System
4. Agencies of Law Enforcement and Their Organizations
SECTION II: PERSONNEL ISSUES
5. Becoming a Cop
6. Police Subculture
7. Career Concerns
SECTION III: POLICE WORK
8. Patrol, Peacekeeping, and Investigations
9. Intelligence, Information, and Special Problems
10. Community Policing and Community Involvement
SECTION IV: LEGAL ISSUES
11. Policing and the Law
12. Civil Liability and Accountability
SECTION V: CHALLENGES
13. Police Discretion and Behavior
14. Deviance, Ethics and Professionalism
15. The Use of Force
SECTION VI: THE FUTURE
16. The Future of Policing
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material
Published by Pearson (August 2nd 2020) - Copyright © 2010