Professional Ethics in Criminal Justice: Being Ethical When No One is Looking, 4th edition
Published by Pearson (November 10th 2015) - Copyright © 2016
Professional Ethics in Criminal Justice: Being Ethical When No One is Looking (Subscription)
ISBN-13: 9780133843590Includes: eText
A digital version of the text you can personalize and read online or offline.
Professional Ethics in Criminal Justice: Being Ethical When No One is Looking
ISBN-13: 9780133843286Includes: Paperback
You'll get a bound printed text.
Professional Ethics in Criminal Justice: Being Ethical When No One is Looking is designed for the Ethics in Criminal Justice course.
Every major issue, problem, scandal, and crime in the criminal justice field has ethics at its core. Professional Ethics in Criminal Justice: Being Ethical When No One is Looking presents the three major ethical schools of thought (virtue, formalism, and utilitarianism) in a clear way that emphasizes how ethics impacts individual decision-making. Extensive Critical-thinking exercises, Ethics in the Movies features, and Ethics in Books features use current events and media to raise ethical questions and help readers develop ethical-reasoning skills. Separate chapters are devoted to law, police, courts, corrections, and liability so learners see the direct connection between ethics and specific aspects of the criminal justice system. Professional Ethics in Criminal Justice helps readers recognize ethical decisions and provides the framework for analyzing ethical dilemmas.
Table of contents
- Recognizing Ethical Decisions: Ethics and Critical Thinking 1
- Virtue Ethics: Seeking the Good 11
- Formalism: Carrying Out Obligation and Duty 25
- Utilitarianism: Measuring Consequences 36
- Crime and Law: Which Behaviors Ought to Be Crimes? 47
- Police: How Should the Law Be Enforced? 68
- Courts: How Ought a Case Be Adjudicated? 89
- Punishment and Corrections: What Should Be Done with Offenders? 104
- Liability: What Should Be the Consequence of Unethical Conduct? 120
- The Future: Will We Be More or Less Ethical? 135
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material