Understanding by Design: Expanded Second Edition, 2nd edition
Understanding by Design: Expanded Second Edition
You'll get a bound printed text.
The highly anticipated second edition of Understanding by Design poses the core, essential questions of understanding and design, and provides readers with practical solutions for the teacher-designer. The book opens by analyzing the logic of backward design as an alternative to coverage and activity-oriented plans. Though backward from habit, this approach brings more focus and coherence to instruction. The book proposes a multifaceted approach, with the six “facets” of understanding. The facets combine with backward design to provide a powerful, expanded array of practical tools and strategies for designing curriculum, instruction, and assessments that lead students at all grade levels to genuine understanding. The second edition, a refined work, has been thoroughly and extensively revised, updated, and expanded, including improvement of the UbD Template, the key terms of UbD, dozens of worksheets, and some of the larger concepts. The authors have successfully put together a text that demonstrates what best practice in the design of learning looks like, enhancing for its audience their capability for creating more engaging and effective learning, whether the student is a third grader, a college freshman, or a faculty member.
Table of contents
- List of Figures.
- 1. Backward Design.
- 2. Understanding Understanding.
- 3. Gaining Clarity on Our Goals.
- 4. The Six Facets of Understanding.
- 5. Essential Questions: Doorways to Understanding.
- 6. Crafting Understandings.
- 7. Thinking like an Assessor.
- 8. Criteria and Validity.
- 9. Planning for Learning.
- 10. Teaching for Understanding.
- 11. The Design Process.
- 12. The Big Picture: UbD as Curriculum Framework.
- 13. "Yes, but..."
- Afterword: Getting Started.
- Appendix: Sample 6-Page Template.
- About the Authors.
Published by Pearson (July 14th 2005) - Copyright © 2006