Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction, 6th edition
Published by Pearson (January 2nd 2020) - Copyright © 2016
You'll get a bound printed text.
Words Their Way® is a hands-on, developmentally-driven approach to word study that illustrates how to integrate and teach children phonics, vocabulary, and spelling skills.
Building on its best-selling approach, this edition of Words Their Way continues the phenomenon that has helped thousands of children improve their literacy skills. The keys to this successful, research-based approach are to know your students’ literacy progress, organize for instruction, and implement word study.
New to the Sixth Edition:
- Common Core State Standards are listed for each activity. Words Their Way supports the Reading Foundational Skills and the Language Standards across all grades. The depth and breadth of word knowledge developed through Words Their Way will also support the Common Core’s emphasis on reading more complex literary and informational texts.
- Revised and new activities offer a robust collection of classroom activities sequenced to help students build the skills they need to move on the next developmental stage.
- The PDToolkit has been rebuilt to provide improved ease-of-use, and offers:
- New classroom footage. Video clips show teachers using word study at all stages of development, including English Learners and PreK-K and secondary students.
- Prepared word sorts and games for each stage will help you get started with word study in your classroom.
- A Create Your Own feature allows you to modify and create sorts specific to the needs of your students.
- Assessment Tools that help you monitor students’ progress throughout the year.
Table of contents
Chapter 1 Developmental Word Knowledge
Chapter 2 Getting Started: The Assessment of Orthographic Development
Chapter 3 Organizing for Word Study: Principles and Practices
Chapter 4 Word Study for Learners in the Emergent Stage
Chapter 5 Word Study for Beginners in the Letter Name–Alphabetic Stage
Chapter 6 Word Study for Transitional Learners in the Within Word Pattern Stage
Chapter 7 Word Study for Intermediate Readers and Writers: The Syllables and Affixes Stage
Chapter 8 Word Study for Advanced Readers and Writers: The Derivational Relations Stage
APPENDIX A Assessment Materials
APPENDIX B Sound Boards
APPENDIX C Pictures for Sorts and Games
APPENDIX D Sample Word Sorts by Spelling Stage
APPENDIX E Word Lists
APPENDIX F Games and Templates for Sorts
APPENDIX G Other Resources
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material