You'll get a bound printed text.
Praise for Adopting the Rational Unified Process
“Stefan Bergström and Lotta Råberg take you through what may be your most crucial step in using the Rational Unified Process: a successful adoption process. From assessment of your current capability to the details of RUP implementation, this book takes you by the hand, and guides you. It is all backed by their considerable practical experience helping major industrial companies in Europe implement RUP.”—PHILIPPE KRUCHTEN,
IBM Rational Software
“This book provides a unique perspective on how to successfully introduce lasting improvements into any software development organization. It provides practical guidance into how to conduct a process improvement effort using the Rational Unified Process, written by people who have many years of experience helping customers to be successful with RUP. This book is an essential addition to the bookshelf of anyone adopting RUP, or undertaking any software engineering process improvement effort.”—KURT BITTNER,
Worldwide Communities of Practice Architect, IBM Rational Software
Co-author of Use Case Modeling, Addison-Wesley, 2003
“Adopting the Rational Unified Process offers real-world advice from those who have been there, implementing RUP in enterprises and organizations. The authors speak from a deep, practical knowledge and honestly share both their successes and mistakes. Following the guidance in this book could save you months or years of costly trial-and-error when implementing RUP.”—BARCLAY BROWN,
Renaissance Research Corp.
“Change is inevitable in the sometimes bleeding edge of software development; so where we can borrow best practices from other proven disciplines such as Business Change Management, we should do so with both hands. The authors practically demonstrate how to leverage these sensible practices when implementing the Rational Unified Process. If you are responsible for implementing RUP in your organization and can only buy one book, make it this one.”—TONY GROUT,
CEO, FMI Solutions
This book teaches you how to implement the Rational Unified Process (RUP) so that you reap immediate returns on your investment in process improvement. With the help of this book's practical advice and real-world case studies, software practitioners will learn how to initiate and maintain the changes needed for an organization to successfully adopt RUP as a new process.
Adopting the Rational Unified Process picks up where Per Kroll and Philippe Krutchen's The Rational Unified Process Made Easy (Addison-Wesley, 2003) leaves off. By taking a guided tour of the activities needed during the process implementation, you'll learn the goals and measurements for adoption, how to select an implementation strategy, and the key points of an implementation plan. You'll also gain insight into management's perspective on RUP and learn how to best make a business case for adopting the process. In addition to sharing best practices and proven strategies, the authors connect their experience with the content in RUP.
Key topic coverage includes:
- Accessing your organization's current situation
- Setting implementation goals and identifying risks and opportunities
- Compiling an implementation plan, communicating the plan, and establishing the pilot projects
- Supporting projects with mentoring
- Avoiding the seven sins of a RUP project, from "planning to death" to "failing to move the product to maintenance"
- Tailoring the process to fit your organization's needs, including selecting from RUP, adding process information, and changing RUP
- Documenting your process: tools and tips
Table of contents
About the Authors.
1. How to Adopt RUP in Your Organization.
2. The First Meeting with RUP.
3. What Is a RUP Project?
4. Assessing Your Organization.
5. Motivating the RUP Adoption.
6. Planning the RUP Adoption.
7. Obtaining Support from the Organization.
8. How to Adopt RUP in Your Project.
9. Deciding upon Your Process.
10. Documenting Your Process.
11. A Guide to Successful Mentoring.
Appendix A. Experiences from Actual Implementations.
Appendix B. Adding Another Project Management Method to RUP.
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material