Along These Lines: Writing Paragraphs and Essays, 8th edition
Published by Pearson (March 9th 2018) - Copyright © 2019
Along These Lines: Writing Paragraphs and Essays (Subscription)
ISBN-13: 9780134772615Includes: eText
A digital version of the text you can personalize and read online or offline.
MyLab Writing with Pearson eText -- Instant Access -- for Along These Lines: Writing Paragraphs and Essays
- Instant Access
Instant digital access to MyLab. To register, you'll need a Pearson course ID from your instructor.
Along These Lines: Writing Paragraphs and Essays, Books a la Carte Edition
ISBN-13: 9780134776613Includes: Loose-Leaf
You'll get loose-leaf, three-hole-punched pages ready to be placed in a binder.
Along These Lines: Writing Paragraphs and Essays
ISBN-13: 9780134758909Includes: Paperback
You'll get a bound printed text.
For courses in College Developmental Writing.
Effective writers are effective learners
Clear, effective writing is an increasingly important skill in today’s world. With its intensive coverage of the writing process, Along These Lines: Writing Paragraphs and Essays, 8th Edition, helps developing writers acquire and improve their skills to become more effective writers – and more effective learners. Biays and Wershoven guide readers, step by step, through the writing process with inͭdepth instruction on grammar and a proven focus on developing effective paragraphs and essays.
Each chapter offers numerous individual and collaborative exercises, along with contextualized practical writing applications – such as workplace writing, personal writing, and classroomͭcentered academic material. Self-ͣontained chapters provide a flexible framework that can accommodate various learning styles and instructional preferences. Encouraging critical thinking and personal engagement, the authors provide invaluable resources, interactive exercises, and continual reinforcement to give writers a solid foundation for future success.
The loose-leaf version of this text is also available with MyLab Writing
MyLab™ is the teaching and learning platform that empowers you to reach every student. By combining trusted content with digital tools and a flexible platform, MyLab personalizes the learning experience and improves results for each student. When students enter your developmental writing course with varying skill levels, MyLab can help you identify which students need extra support and provide them targeted practice and instruction outside of class.
Note: You are purchasing a standalone product; MyLab Writing does not come packaged with this content. Students, if interested in purchasing this title with MyLab Writing, ask your instructor for the correct package ISBN and Course ID. Instructors, contact your Pearson representative for more information.
If you would like to purchase both the loose-leaf version of the text and MyLab Writing, search for:
0134984447/ 9780134984445 Along These Lines: Writing Paragraphs and Essays, Books a la Carte Plus MyLab Writing with Pearson eText -- Access Card Package, 8/e
Package consists of:
- 013480810X / 9780134808109 MyLab Writing with Pearson eText -- Access Card -- for Along These Lines: Writing Paragraphs and Essays, 8/e
- 0134776615 / 9780134776613 Along These Lines: Writing Paragraphs and Essays, Books a la Carte edition, 8/e
Table of contents
PART 1 – WRITING IN STAGES: THE PROCESS APPROACH
1. Writing a Paragraph
6. Comparison and Contrast
9. Cause and Effect
11. Writing an Essay
12. Different Essay Patterns: Part One
13. Different Essay Patterns: Part Two
14. Using Research to Strengthen Essays
15. Writing from Reading
PART 2 – GRAMMAR FOR WRITERS
16. The Simple Sentence
17. Beyond the Simple Sentence: Coordination
18. Avoiding Run-On Sentences and Comma Splices
19. Beyond the Simple Sentence: Subordination
20. Avoiding Sentence Fragments
21. Using Parallelism in Sentences
22. Using Adjectives and Adverbs
23. Correcting Problems with Modifiers
24. Using Verbs Correctly: Standard Verb Forms, Irregular Verbs, Consistency, and Voice
25. Making Subjects and Verbs Agree
26. Using Pronouns Correctly: Agreement and Reference
27. Using Pronouns Correctly: Consistency and Case
30. Words that Sound Alike/Look Alike
31. Word Choice
32. Sentence Variety
Appendix. Readings for Writers
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material