In this biography, author and scholar Harold C. Livesay examines the life and legacy of Andrew Carnegie, one of the greatest captains of industry and philanthropists in the history of the United States.
Paperback, brief, and inexpensive, each of the titles in the Library of American Biography Series focuses on a figure whose actions and ideas significantly influenced the course of American history and national life. In addition, each biography relates the life of its subject to the broader themes and developments of the times.
Table of contents
1. Flying Scots: In Search of a Dream.
2. The Climb Begins.
3. The Apprentice Manager.
4. The Apprentice Financier.
5. The Master Moneyman: A Fortune in Paper.
6. The Master Builder: A Foundation of Iron.
7. The Master Builder: A Structure of Steel.
8. The Master Manager: Costs, Chemistry and Coke.
9. Triumph and Tragedy.
10. Carnegie Challenges the World.
11. The Climb Ends.
Study and Discussion Questions.
A Note on the Sources.
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material