Basics of Occupational Safety, The, 2nd edition
Published by Pearson (December 31st 2013) - Copyright © 2015
A digital version of the text you can personalize and read online or offline.
This is the eBook of the printed book and may not include any media, website access codes, or print supplements that may come packaged with the bound book.
Today's concise, up-to-date guide to basic safety and health in the workplace.
Basics of Occupational Safety, Second Edition is today's most complete, concise, and up-to-date basic guide to the most critical aspects of occupational safety and health. Designed to be a highly-effective teaching and learning tool for both classroom and on-line settings, it contains helpful pedagogy supported by comprehensive web content and resources. It concisely addresses all applicable standards from OSHA, NIOSH, and other US federal and state government regulatory agencies, and covers a wide range of new and emerging trends. Up-to-the-minute coverage includes: emerging roles of safety professionals, the safety professional’s role in product recalls, maintenance requirements of NFPA 70E-2009 for electric shock, “hot work,” nanoscale materials in industrial hygiene, global harmonization of OSHA’s Hazard Communication Standard, MRSA in the workplace, and establishing a safety-first corporate culture.
Teaching and Learning Experience
This concise book will prepare students for occupational and safety health responsibilities in today's complex environments.
- Concise, focused, basic coverage of the field's latest issues and trends: Thoroughly prepares students for current and future realities in the field of occupational safety and health
- Supported with exceptional pedagogical features: Includes well-crafted chapter summaries, key terms and concepts, review questions, and many boxed features
- Combines theory and principles in realistic settings: Focuses on the new challenges of occupational safety and health in global workplace environments, and the changing roles of safety/health professionals
Table of contents
1. Safety and Health Movement: An Overview
2. Accidents and Their Effects
3. Theories of Accident Causation
4. Roles and Professional Certifications for Safety and Health Professionals
5. The OSH Act, Standards, and Liability
6. Workers’ Compensation
7. Accident Investigation and Reporting
8. Ergonomic Hazards: Musculoskeletal Disorders (MSDs) and Cumulative Trauma Disorders (CTDs)
9. Stress and Safety
10. Mechanical Hazards and Machine Safeguarding
11. Falling, Impact, Acceleration, Lifting, and Vision Hazards
12. Hazards of Temperature Extremes
13. Pressure Hazards
14. Electrical Hazards
15. Fire Hazards and Life Safety
16. Industrial Hygiene and Confined Spaces
17. Violence in the Workplace
18. Noise and Vibration Hazards
19. Preparing for Emergencies and Terrorism
20. Bloodborne Pathogens in the Workplace
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material