For courses in cell biology.
This package includes Mastering Biology.
Explore the world of the cell
Widely praised for its strong biochemistry coverage and clear, easy-to-follow explanations and figures, Becker’s World of the Cell provides a beautifully-illustrated, up-to-date introduction to cell biology concepts, processes, and applications. Informed by many years of classroom experience in the sophomore-level cell biology course, the dramatically-revised 9th Edition introduces molecular genetics concepts earlier in the text and includes more extensive coverage of key techniques in each chapter. Becker’s World of the Cell provides accessible and authoritative descriptions of all major principles, as well as unique scientific insights into visualization and applications of cell and molecular biology.
NOTE: Before purchasing, check with your instructor to ensure you select the correct ISBN. Several versions of Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products exist for each title, and registrations are not transferable. To register for and use Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products, you may also need a Course ID, which your instructor will provide.
Used books, rentals, and purchases made outside of Pearson
If purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson, the access codes for Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products may not be included, may be incorrect, or may be previously redeemed. Check with the seller before completing your purchase.
0321934784 / 9780321934789 Becker's World of the Cell Plus MasteringBiology with eText -- Access Card Package
Package consists of:
- 032193492X / 9780321934925 Becker's World of the Cell
- 0134157257 / 9780134157252 MasteringBiology with Pearson eText -- ValuePack Access Card -- for Becker's World of the Cell
Table of contents
1. A Preview of Cell Biology
2. The Chemistry of the Cell
3. The Macromolecules of the Cell
4. Cells and Organelles
5. Bioenergetics: The Flow of Energy in the Cell
6. Enzymes: The Catalysts of Life
7. Membranes: Their Structure, Function, and Chemistry
8. Transport Across Membranes: Overcoming the Permeability Barrier
9. Chemotrophic Energy Metabolism: Glycolysis and Fermentation
10. Chemotrophic Energy Metabolism: Aerobic Respiration
11. Phototrophic Energy Metabolism: Photosynthesis
12. The Endomembrane System
13. Cytoskeletal Systems
14. Cellular Movement: Motility and Contractility
15. Beyond the Cell: Cell Adhesions, Cell Junctions, and Extracellular Structures
16. The Structural Basis of Cellular Information: DNA, Chromosomes, and Genome Organization
17. DNA Replication, Repair, and Recombination
18. Gene Expression I: The Genetic Code and Transcription
19. Gene Expression II: Protein Synthesis and Sorting
20. Regulation of Gene Expression
21. Molecular Biology Techniques for Cell Biology
22. Signal Transduction Mechanisms I: Electrical and Synaptic Signaling in Neurons
23. Signal Transduction Mechanisms II: Messengers and Receptors
24. The Cell Cycle and Mitosis
25. Sexual Reproduction, Meiosis, and Genetic Recombination
26. Cancer Cells
Appendix — Visualizing Cells and Molecules
Photo, Illustration, and Text Credits
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material