A bound printed text you can rent, fulfilled by Chegg. At the end of the rental period, you can choose to keep the text for a flat fee.
You'll get a bound printed text.
This print textbook is available for students to rent for their classes. The Pearson print rental program provides students with affordable access to learning materials, so they come to class ready to succeed.
For courses in general microbiology.
Authoritative. Accurate. Accessible
Brock Biology of Microorganisms sets the standard for accuracy, impeccable scholarship, a visually stunning art program, and the use of cutting edge research to illustrate basic concepts. The text guides students through the six major themes of microbiology — Evolution, Cell Structure and Function, Metabolic Pathways, Information Flow and Genetics, Microbial Systems, and the Impact of Microorganisms — as outlined by the American Society for Microbiology Conference on Undergraduate Education (ASMCUE). This robust and modern approach takes students through the genomics revolution and “omics” maze that has transformed microbiology and shares powerful tools that microbiologists use to probe deeper and further into the microbial world than ever before.
The 16th Edition expands the extraordinary art program to ensure students experience microbiology as a visual science while providing an overview of the microbial world with basic principles that students all need to master. Each chapter’s theme focuses on a recent discovery that connects students with the most current science and engages them with exciting, real-world topics.
Now available with Modified Mastering Microbiology
By combining trusted author content with digital tools and a flexible platform, Mastering personalizes the learning experience and improves results for each student. Mastering Microbiology extends learning and provides students with a platform to practice, learn, and apply knowledge outside of the classroom.
0134874404 / 9780134874401 Brock Biology of Microorganisms [RENTAL EDITION], 16/e
Table of contents
UNIT 1: THE FOUNDATIONS OF MICROBIOLOGY
1. The Microbial World
2. Microbial Cell Structure and Function
3. Microbial Metabolism
4. Microbial Growth and Its Control
5. Viruses and Their Multiplication
UNIT 2: MOLECULAR BIOLOGY AND GENETICS
6. Microbial Information Flow and Protein Processing
7. Microbial Regulatory Systems
8. Molecular Aspects of Microbial Growth
9. Genetics of Bacteria and Archaea
UNIT 3: GENOMICS, SYNTHETIC BIOLOGY, AND EVOLUTION
10. Microbial Genomics and Other Omics
11. Viral Genomics and Diversity
12. Biotechnology and Synthetic Biology
13. Microbial Evolution and Genome Dynamics
UNIT 4: MICROBIAL DIVERSITY
14. Metabolic Diversity of Microorganisms
15. Ecological Diversity of Bacteria
16. Phylogenetic Diversity of Bacteria
17. Phylogenetic Diversity of Archaea
18. Diversity of Microbial Eukarya
UNIT 5: MICROBIAL ECOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENTAL MICROBIOLOGY
19. Taking the Measure of Microbial Systems
20. Microbial Ecosystems
21. Nutrient Cycles
22. Microbiology of the Built Environment
23. Microbial Symbioses with Microbes, Plants, and Animals
UNIT 6: MICROBE—HUMAN INTERACTIONS AND THE IMMUNE SYSTEM
24. Microbial Symbioses with Humans
25. Microbial Infection and Pathogenesis
26. Innate Immunity: Broadly Specific Host Defenses
27. Adaptive Immunity: Highly Specific Host Defenses
28. Immune Disorders and Antimicrobial Therapy
UNIT 7: INFECTIOUS DISEASES
29. Diagnosing Infectious Diseases
30. Epidemiology and Public Health
31. Person-to-Person Bacterial and Viral Diseases
32. Vectorborne and Soilborne Bacterial and Viral Diseases
33. Waterborne and Foodborne Bacterial and Viral Diseases
34. Eukaryotic Pathogens: Fungi, Protozoa, and Helminths
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material