Colonial America in an Atlantic World, 2nd edition
Published by Pearson (January 11th 2016) - Copyright © 2017
Colonial America in an Atlantic World (Subscription)
ISBN-13: 9780205968725Includes: eText
A digital version of the text you can personalize and read online or offline.
Colonial America in an Atlantic World, Books a la Carte Edition
ISBN-13: 9780205968749Includes: Loose-Leaf
You'll get loose-leaf, three-hole-punched pages ready to be placed in a binder.
Colonial America in an Atlantic World
ISBN-13: 9780205968671Includes: Paperback
You'll get a bound printed text.
A story of interaction and adaptation in the Atlantic world.
Colonial America in an Atlantic World presents the story of interaction and adaptation among the peoples of four continents that resulted in the development of the North American region that became the United States. Authors T.H. Breen and Timothy Hall discuss the social, political, environmental, and cultural processes set in motion by European exploration and settlement, and cover the sometimes-overlooked contributions of Native Americans and Africans to Atlantic history. Expanded to include a new, three-chapter section on the American Revolution, the second edition traces Atlantic history right up through the ratification of the U.S. Constitution in 1788.
Table of contents
1. Origins of an Atlantic World
2. Trade and Violence in an Emerging Atlantic World, 1500—1625
PART II — THE CONTEST FOR SEVENTEENTH-CENTURY SETTLEMENT
3. Winners and Losers on the Tobacco Coast, 1607—1660
4. Sugar, Slaves, and Profits: The English Contest for a Caribbean Empire
5. Cities on a Hill: Bible Commonwealths in New England, 1620—1660
6. England’s Quest for a Commercial Empire
7. Conflict, Transformation, Realignment
PART III — PROVINCES IN A CONTESTED EMPIRE: THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY
8. Empires of Guns and Goods: North America at the Opening of the Eighteenth Century
9. Shifting Borderlands: Migrations in Eighteenth-Century America
10. The Anglicization of Provincial America
11. Slavery and Empire: African American Cultures in the Colonial British
12. Imperial Competition for the American Market
PART IV — AN INDEPENDENT AMERICA IN THE ATLANTIC WORLD
13. Colonial Alienation within the British Empire
14. Crucible of Liberty: Varieties of Independence in the Revolutionary War
15. Independence in an Atlantic World
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material