A Concise Public Speaking Handbook emphasizes the importance of analyzing and considering the audience at every point in the speech-making process. Using a concise reference format that facilitates quick and easy access to key information, authors Steven and Susan Beebe present a balance of theory and practice to guide students on how to enhance their public speaking skills. By focusing student attention on the dynamics of diverse audiences, ethics, and communication apprehension, the text narrows the gap between the classroom and the real world. The 5th Edition includes fresh examples throughout to ensure that content is relatable and engaging for students.
Features and benefits
Revel was designed for you and the way you learn.
- Interactive animations and videos: Illustrate what you’re reading about, helping you learn without getting sidetracked.
- The assignment calendar: Shows exactly when every reading is due, helping you stay on track throughout the course.
- The Revel mobile app: Lets you read, practice, and study — anywhere, anytime, on any device.
Table of contents
PART I: INTRODUCTION
1. Speaking in Public
2. Improving Your Confidence
3. Presenting Your First Speech
4. Ethics and Free Speech
PART II: ANALYZING AN AUDIENCE
6. Analyzing Your Audience
7. Adapting to Your Audience as You Speak
PART III: PREPARING A SPEECH
8. Developing Your Speech
9. Gathering Supporting Material
10. Supporting Your Speech
PART IV: CRAFTING A SPEECH
11. Organizing Your Speech
12. Outlining and Revising Your Speech
13. Developing an Introduction
14. Developing a Conclusion
15. Using Words Well
PART V: DELIVERING A SPEECH
16. Methods of Delivery
17. Nonverbal Communication
18. Verbal Communication
19. Delivering Your Speech
20. Selecting Presentation Aids
21. Preparing and Using Presentation Aids
PART VI: TYPES OF SPEECHES
22. Informative Speaking
23. Understanding Principles of Persuasive Speaking
24. Using Persuasive Strategies
25. Speaking on Special Occasions26. Speaking in Small Groups
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material