Cosmic Perspective, The, 9th edition
Unfortunately, this item is not available in your country.
NOTE: Before purchasing, check with your instructor to ensure you select the correct ISBN. Several versions of the MyLab™and Mastering™ platforms exist for each title, and registrations are not transferable. To register for and use MyLab or Mastering, you may also need a Course ID, which your instructor will provide.
Used books, rentals, and purchases made outside of Pearson
If purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson, the access codes for the Mastering platform may not be included, may be incorrect, or may be previously redeemed. Check with the seller before completing your purchase.
For two-semester courses in astronomy.
This package includes Mastering Astronomy.
Exploring the impact of new discoveries on astronomy, science, and life in the universe
Building on a long tradition of effective pedagogy and comprehensive coverage, The Cosmic Perspective, 9th Edition provides a thoroughly engaging and up-to-date introduction to astronomy for anyone who is curious about the universe, regardless of prior background in astronomy or physics. As respected teachers and active researchers, the authors present astronomy using a coherent narrative and a thematic approach that engages students immediately and guides them through connecting ideas. This engagement-centered approach and variety of contextualizing features enhance student understanding of the process of science and actively involve them in learning key concepts.
The 9th Edition features major scientific updates, new content that focuses on the possibility of life in the universe, and recent discoveries that provide modern contexts to help students see astronomy as highly relevant to their worlds now. The authors integrate a new focus on cultural diversity among scientists and ethics across science and astronomy, delving into science done by a wide range of people and evaluated in different ways. The authors write and create a wealth of Mastering Astronomy resources, carrying the coherent and cohesive approach of the book to the new and expanded digital tools, such as Prelecture Videos. Instructors can access this curated group of activities in Mastering Astronomy for use before, during, and after class and can easily edit the pre-built assignments to fit the way they teach.
This text is also available in two volumes, which can be purchased separately:
- The Cosmic Perspective: The Solar System, 9th Edition (includes Chapters 1–13, 14, S1, 24)
- The Cosmic Perspective: Stars, Galaxies, and Cosmology, 9th Edition (includes Chapters 1-3, S1, 4–6, S2–S4, 14–24)
Personalize learning with Mastering Astronomy
By combining trusted author content with digital tools and a flexible platform, Mastering personalizes the learning experience and improves results for each student.Resources in Mastering Astronomy are written and carefully reviewed by the author team, establishing the same coherent and trusted voice as the book.
0134988930 / 9780134988931 Cosmic Perspective, The Plus Mastering Astronomy with Pearson eText -- Access Card Package
Package consists of:
- 0134874366 / 9780134874364 Cosmic Perspective, The
- 0134988833 / 9780134988832 Mastering Astronomy with Pearson eText -- ValuePack Access Card -- for Cosmic Perspective, The
- 0321765184 / 9780321765185 SkyGazer 5.0 Student Access Code Card (Integrated component)
Table of contents
PART I. DEVELOPING PERSPECTIVE
1. A Modern View of the Universe
2. Discovering the Universe For Yourself
3. The Science of Astronomy
S1. Celestial Timekeeping and Navigation
PART II. KEY CONCEPTS FOR ASTRONOMY
4. Making Sense of the Universe: Understanding Motion, Energy, and Gravity
5. Light and Matter: Reading Messages from the Cosmos
6. Telescopes: Portals of Discovery
PART III. LEARNING FROM OTHER WORLDS
7. Our Planetary System
8. Formation of the Solar System
9. Planetary Geology: Earth and the Other Terrestrial Worlds
10. Planetary Atmospheres: Earth and the Other Terrestrial Worlds
11. Jovian Planet Systems
12. Asteroids, Comets, and Dwarf Planets: their Nature, Orbits, and Impacts
13. Other Planetary Systems: the New Science of Distant Worlds
PART IV. A DEEPER LOOK AT NATURE
S2. Space and Time
S3. Spacetime and Gravity
S4. Building Blocks of the Universe
PART V. STARS
14. Our Star
15. Surveying the Stars
16. Star Birth
17. Star Stuff
18. The Bizarre. Stellar Graveyard
PART VI. GALAXIES AND BEYOND
19. Our Galaxy
20. Galaxies and the Foundation of Modern Cosmology
21. Galaxy Evolution
22. The Birth of the Universe
23. Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and the Fate of the Universe
PART VII. LIFE ON EARTH AND BEYOND
24. Life In the Universe
Published by Pearson (January 4th 2019) - Copyright © 2020