Cosmic Perspective, The, 9th edition
Unfortunately, this item is not available in your country.
For two-semester courses in astronomy.
Exploring the impact of new discoveries on astronomy, science, and life in the universe
Building on a long tradition of effective pedagogy and comprehensive coverage, The Cosmic Perspective, 9th Edition provides a thoroughly engaging and up-to-date introduction to astronomy for anyone who is curious about the universe, regardless of prior background in astronomy or physics. As respected teachers and active researchers, the authors present astronomy using a coherent narrative and a thematic approach that engages students immediately and guides them through connecting ideas. This engagement-centered approach and variety of contextualizing features enhance student understanding of the process of science and actively involve them in learning key concepts.
The 9th Edition features major scientific updates, new content that focuses on the possibility of life in the universe, and recent discoveries that provide modern contexts to help students see astronomy as highly relevant to their worlds now. The authors integrate a new focus on cultural diversity among scientists and ethics across science and astronomy, delving into science done by a wide range of people and evaluated in different ways. The authors write and create a wealth of Mastering Astronomy resources, carrying the coherent and cohesive approach of the book to the new and expanded digital tools, such as Prelecture Videos. Instructors can access this curated group of activities in Mastering Astronomy for use before, during, and after class and can easily edit the pre-built assignments to fit the way they teach.
This text is also available in two volumes, which can be purchased separately:
- The Cosmic Perspective: The Solar System, 9th Edition (includes Chapters 1–13, 14, S1, 24)
- The Cosmic Perspective: Stars, Galaxies, and Cosmology, 9th Edition (includes Chapters 1-3, S1, 4–6, S2–S4, 14–24)
Also available digitally as a standalone Pearson eText, or via Mastering Astronomy, which includes the Pearson eText.
Pearson eText is a simple-to-use, mobile-optimized, personalized reading experience that can be adopted on its own as the main course material. It lets students highlight, take notes, and review key vocabulary all in one place, even when offline. Seamlessly integrated videos and other rich media engage students and give them access to the help they need, when they need it. Educators can easily customize the table of contents and share their own notes with students so they see the connection between their eText and what they learn in class – motivating them to keep reading, and keep learning.
If your instructor has assigned Pearson eText as your main course material, search for:
• 0135729491 / 9780135729496 Pearson eText Cosmic Perspective, The -- Access Card, 9/e
• 0135729459 / 9780135729458 Pearson eText Cosmic Perspective, The -- Instant Access, 9/e
Also available with Mastering Astronomy
By combining trusted author content with digital tools and a flexible platform, Mastering personalizes the learning experience and improves results for each student.Resources in Mastering Astronomy are written and carefully reviewed by the author team, establishing the same coherent and trusted voice as the book.
Note: You are purchasing a standalone product; Mastering Astronomy does not come packaged with this content. Students, if interested in purchasing this title with Mastering Astronomy, ask your instructor for the correct package ISBN and Course ID. Instructors, contact your Pearson representative for more information.
If you would like to purchase both the physical text and Mastering Astronomy, search for:
0134988930 / 9780134988931 Cosmic Perspective, The Plus Mastering Astronomy with Pearson eText -- Access Card Package
Package consists of:
- 0134874366 / 9780134874364 Cosmic Perspective, The
- 0134988833 / 9780134988832 Mastering Astronomy with Pearson eText -- ValuePack Access Card -- for Cosmic Perspective, The
- 0321765184 / 9780321765185 SkyGazer 5.0 Student Access Code Card (Integrated component)
Table of contents
PART I. DEVELOPING PERSPECTIVE
1. A Modern View of the Universe
2. Discovering the Universe For Yourself
3. The Science of Astronomy
S1. Celestial Timekeeping and Navigation
PART II. KEY CONCEPTS FOR ASTRONOMY
4. Making Sense of the Universe: Understanding Motion, Energy, and Gravity
5. Light and Matter: Reading Messages from the Cosmos
6. Telescopes: Portals of Discovery
PART III. LEARNING FROM OTHER WORLDS
7. Our Planetary System
8. Formation of the Solar System
9. Planetary Geology: Earth and the Other Terrestrial Worlds
10. Planetary Atmospheres: Earth and the Other Terrestrial Worlds
11. Jovian Planet Systems
12. Asteroids, Comets, and Dwarf Planets: their Nature, Orbits, and Impacts
13. Other Planetary Systems: the New Science of Distant Worlds
PART IV. A DEEPER LOOK AT NATURE
S2. Space and Time
S3. Spacetime and Gravity
S4. Building Blocks of the Universe
PART V. STARS
14. Our Star
15. Surveying the Stars
16. Star Birth
17. Star Stuff
18. The Bizarre. Stellar Graveyard
PART VI. GALAXIES AND BEYOND
19. Our Galaxy
20. Galaxies and the Foundation of Modern Cosmology
21. Galaxy Evolution
22. The Birth of the Universe
23. Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and the Fate of the Universe
PART VII. LIFE ON EARTH AND BEYOND
24. Life In the Universe
Published by Pearson (February 4th 2019) - Copyright © 2020