Essential Cosmic Perspective, The, 8th edition
Unfortunately, this item is not available in your country.
Used books, rentals, and purchases made outside of Pearson
If purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson, the access codes for Mastering Astronomy may not be included, may be incorrect, or may be previously redeemed. Check with the seller before completing your purchase.
For one-semester courses in astronomy.
This package includes Mastering Astronomy.
A practical introduction to Astronomy with an emphasis on critical thinking about our place in the universe
This 8th Edition of Essential Cosmic Perspective provides readers without science backgrounds with a streamlined, cutting-edge introduction to astronomy. Built on a strong tradition of effective pedagogy and coverage, the text focuses on skill-building and includes group work exercises that require active participation. Dedicated to bringing an understanding of the universe, its scientific basis and its relevance to our lives, each chapter is written to specific learning goals that build an ideal learning path for readers. Aiming to foster a lifelong learning experience, the authors focus on key concepts, providing big picture context, promoting conceptual understanding, and preferring plain language to jargon.
The 8th Edition incorporates the latest scientific updates in the field of astronomy and includes new features that reinforce critical thinking and excite readers’ curiosity. New features such as Extraordinary Claims engage readers by presenting extraordinary claims about the universe and how they were either supported or debunked as scientists collected more evidence, reinforcing the process of science and how scientists think critically to evaluate them. My Cosmic Perspective establishes a personal connection between readers and the cosmos as they learn to think critically about the meaning of what they learn in their astronomy studies and beyond. Designed and written for a one semester course, this text shares many of the strengths of its more comprehensive best-selling sibling, The Cosmic Perspective.
Personalize learning with Mastering Astronomy.
0134516338 / 9780134516332 Essential Cosmic Perspective Plus Mastering Astronomy with eText, The -- Access Card Package
Package consists of:
- 0134509293 / 9780134509297 Mastering Astronomy with Pearson eText -- ValuePack Access Card -- for Essential Cosmic Perspective, The
- 0134446437 / 9780134446431 The Essential Cosmic Perspective
Table of contents
I. Developing Perspective
1. A Modern View of the Universe
2. Discovering the Universe for Yourself
3. The Science of Astronomy
II. Key Concepts for Astronomy
4. Making Sense of the Universe: Understanding Motion, Energy, and Gravity
5. Light: The Cosmic Messenger
III. Learning from Other Worlds
6. Formation of the Solar System
7. Earth and the Terrestrial Worlds
8. Jovian Planet Systems
9. Asteroids, Comets, and Dwarf Planets: Their Nature, Orbits, and Impacts
10. Other Planetary Systems: The New Science of Distant Worlds
11. Our Star
12. Surveying the Stars
13. Star Stuff
14. The Bizarre Stellar Graveyard
V. Galaxies and Beyond
15. Our Galaxy
16. A Universe of Galaxies
17. The Birth of the Universe
18. Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and the Fate of the Universe
VI. Life on Earth and Beyond
19. Life in the Universe
Published by Pearson (January 1st 2017) - Copyright © 2018