Ethics, Crime, and Criminal Justice, 2nd edition
Published by Pearson (November 23rd 2011) - Copyright © 2012
Ethics, Crime, and Criminal Justice (Subscription)
ISBN-13: 9780133003000Includes: eText
A digital version of the text you can personalize and read online or offline.
Ethics, Crime, and Criminal Justice
ISBN-13: 9780135071540Includes: Paperback
You'll get a bound printed text.
This comprehensive, provocative text meaningfully examines ethical theories and their application to current issues, controversies, and professional scenarios in law, crime, and justice. It introduces students to the foundations of the study of ethics and morality; examines prominent moral and ethical themes, conflicts, and struggles in criminology and criminal justice; and explores the conceptual and practical value of key ethical concepts, principles, and arguments. This edition is extensively updated and revised for greater clarity, cohesiveness, and accessibility. An all-new chapter demonstrates practical application of normative frameworks to ethical dilemmas, and another largely new chapter introduces game theory, evolutionary psychology, and related concepts. Readers will find expanded discussions of social contract, cognitive neuroscience, Carol Gilligan’s ethic of care, and much more.
Table of contents
Part I: An Invitation to Ethics
1. Criminal Justice and the Study of Morality.
2. Choices, Values, and Ethics.
Part II: Metaethics and Moral Psychology
3. Free Will and Moral Responsibility
4. Is Morality Relative? The Variability of Norms and Values
5. Why Should We Be Good?
6. Morality, Human Nature, and Social Cooperation
7. Becoming Ethical: The Development of Morality
Part III: Normative Ethics: Theory and Application
8. Means and Ends: The Importance of Consequences
9. Respecting Persons, Respecting Rights: The Ethics of Duty
10. The Virtuous and the Vicious: Considering Character
11. The Examined Life: A Guide to Moral Thinking and Decision-Making
12. Applying Ethics: Utilizing Ethical Concepts and Frameworks for Decision-Making
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material