Freedom, Determinism, and Responsibility: Readings in Metaphysics, 1st edition
Published by Pearson (November 21st 2002) - Copyright © 2003
This text introduces the central views and issues involved in the philosophical problem of free willan area of high interest to undergraduate students. While the selections represent some of the most important works in the field. they are also accessible enough for students with very little background in philosophy. Classical and contemporary readings are provided to give students a feel both for the history of the problem and how it is confronted by modern philosophers.FEATURES:
- Recent works in the area are included.
- These help students see the relevance of the material in today's world.
- Less-obscure, influential writings are included.
- These introduce students to the works of prominent philosophers that have shaped philosophical debate.
- There are section-opening introductions which provide more detailed explanations of' subsequent readings than most texts.
- These give students a sense of the material they will need to master and enables professors to spend more, time critically discussing material than explaining it.
- The broad historical perspective brings together both classical and contemporary writings and is not restricted to the philosophical views of a particular century.
- This allows instructors to spend less time filling students in on historical origins of key ideas and provides instructors with contemporary reactions to the material.
- Diverse views on the issues discussed are presented.
- This exposes students to different ways of thinking about the material and helps instructors compare alternative approaches and identify preferred methods to understanding key concepts.
Table of contents
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material