Hired! The Job Hunting and Career Planning Guide, 4th edition
Published by Pearson (August 26th 2014) - Copyright © 2014
You'll get a bound printed text.
Michael Stebleton, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
Michael Henle, The College of William and Mary
Career choice is not a single event—it’s a life-long process!
For a student taking a career development course, or a career seeker actively looking for placement the fourth edition of Hired! remains a practical, life-career planning guide designed to reach a variety of audiences. However, unlike other textbooks, Hired! focuses on helping students develop an ongoing, flexible portfolio about themselves and their work--to prepare them for satisfying and productive lives in our ever-changing world. The writing activities encourage students to take a proactive role in creating their own career philosophy and their futures. The workbook approach and step-by-step exercises keep students focused on the critical issues--self-developed goals and action plans--and the execution of those plans. At the same time, various goal-setting and planning techniques will help job seekers overcome career obstacles and increase the likelihood of career success.
New to this edition
· The theme of goal setting is woven throughout the book.
· The role of online social networking in the career planning, networking, and job search process is addressed.
· The financial planning chapter (ch. 12) has been expanded and focuses on practical issues faced by traditional and nontraditional students.
Each chapter now includes:
1) A profile of a traditional and non-traditional student, providing students a profile of someone to whom they can relate.
2) A “Do You Measure Up? or “Are You Prepared?” goal-setting activity. These features emphasize specific self-assessment and goal-setting activities that the student completes for implementation in their plan.
3) A “What Employers Want” workplace information featyre. The workplace information helps students develop greater understanding of the workplace and keys to success in their career plan, job search or workplace activities.
Start strong. Finish stronger.
Table of contents
UNIT 1. DISCOVERING YOUR AUTHENTIC SELF
1. Know Yourself: A Self-Awareness Journey
2. Charting the Future: Goal Setting and Decision Making for Life
3. Researching Careers: The Changing Nature of Work
4. Exploring Through Experience: Learning Outside the Classroom
UNIT 2. CREATING OPPORTUNITIES
5. Developing Your Portfolio: Self-Managed Career Planning
6. Connecting to Employers: Job Search Correspondence and Job Applications
7. Marketing Tools: Your Resume and References
UNIT 3. SELLING YOUR TALENTS
8. Networking and Job Sourcing: Grow Your Possibilities
9. Interviewing: Achieve Job Search Results
UNIT 4. BALANCING YOUR CAREER AND PERSONAL LIFE
10. Navigating: Your Professional Direction
11. Cultivating Meaningful Connections: Personal Goals, Work-Life Balance, and Relationships
12. Financing Your Life: Planning and Implementing a Financial Plan
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material