You'll get a bound printed text.
This title is a Pearson Global Edition. The Editorial team at Pearson has worked closely with educators around the world to include content which is especially relevant to students outside the United States.
Guide students to focus on “big picture” concepts before exploring details
- Unique Chapter Roadmaps provide a visual overview of the key concepts in the chapter and show how they relate to each other. Each key concept “brick” in the roadmap corresponds to a numbered section within the chapter, beginning with a declarative statement that helps learners quickly grasp the “big idea” of the topic discussion.
- Key Concept Modular Organization helps students master the core material, easily navigate the chapter, and maintain their focus. This clear and succinct presentation delivers core concepts in manageable chunks that are easier for students to manage and reference.
- NEW! Text recall icons guide students to review specific pages where a concept was first introduced.
- EXPANDED! Making Connections questions appear in every chapter (except Chapter 1), and challenge students to relate different concepts across body systems and chapters.
Engage students in building visual literacy skills and interpreting visual information
- EXPANDED! 6 New Focus Figures (for a total of 26) Focus Figures walk students through complex processes using exceptionally clear, easy tofollow illustrations with integrated text explanations. Focus Figure Coaching Activities can be assigned through Mastering A&P as figure walkthrough videos with assessments and/or as multi-part coaching activities. New Focus Figures can be assigned with new “mini animation” coaching activities in Mastering A&P and include:
- Fig 3.1 The Plasma Membrane
- Fig 11.4 Postsynaptic Potentials and Their Summation
- Fig 16.2 Stress and the Adrenal Gland
- Fig 18.2 The Cardiac Cycle
- Fig 21.1 An Example of a Primary Immune Response
- Fig 28.2 Fetal and newborn Circulation
- EXPANDED! 31 unique In-Line Figures are strategically placed within the text to visually reinforce the text discussion. This innovation is the latest example of how the authors carefully integrate art and text, almost always presenting words and visuals on the same two-page spread so that readers can efficiently learn, visualize and remember concepts
- NEW! “Draw” questions ask students to create visuals that reinforce important concepts by drawing a structure, annotating a figure, or creating a summary table. Students can check their work using the expanded answer key at the back of the text.
- NEW! 47 Check Your Understanding questions include an illustration as part of the question and require students to practice visual literacy skills.
- Blue text annotations appear in selected figures and represent the voice of an A&P instructor, highlighting important points to remember. In some figures the text is broken into numbered steps to help students more easily understand processes one step at a time. Consistent visual presentation is applied throughout the text so that at least one figure, image, or table is included in every two-page spread.
Support learners at every level, from novice to expert
- EXPANDED! 13 NEW! Summary Tables present key information and serve as “one-stop shopping” student tools.
- NEW! Check Your Understanding sections in each chapter now include a greater variety and range of question types, including higher-level questions labeled Apply, Predict, What If?, Draw, and Make Connections questions. Dozens of new visual questions ask students to label structures or inte
Table of contents
Unit 1. Organization of the Body
1 The Human Body: An Orientation
2 Chemistry Comes Alive
3 Cells: The Living Units
4 Tissue: The Living Fabric
Unit 2. Covering, Support, and Movement of the Body
5 The Integumentary System
6 Bones and Skeletal Tissue
7 The Skeleton
9 Muscles and Muscle Tissue
10 The Muscular System
Unit 3. Regulation and Integration of the Body
11 Fundamentals of the Nervous System and Nervous Tissue
12 The Central Nervous System
13 The Peripheral Nervous System and Reflex Activity
14 The Autonomic Nervous System
15 The Special Senses
16 The Endocrine System
Unit 4. Maintenance of the Body
18 The Cardiovascular System: The Heart
19 The Cardiovascular System: Blood Vessels
20 The Lymphatic System and Lymphoid Organs and Tissues
21 The Immune System: Innate and Adaptive Body Defenses
22 The Respiratory System
23 The Digestive System
24 Nutrition, Metabolism, and Body Temperature Regulation
25 The Urinary System
26 Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Balance
Unit 5. Continuity
27 The Reproductive System
28 Pregnancy and Human Development
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material
Published by Pearson (December 19th 2018) - Copyright © 2019