For courses in Integrated Reading and Writing at the sentence/paragraph level.
Integrated thematic instruction at the sentence and paragraph level
In Harmony: Reading and Writing engages readers by presenting each chapter in the context of a resonant theme, such as interpersonal relationships, living between two worlds, and digital communication. Student and professional essays start each chapter and serve as the basis for instruction, illustration, and practice. Author Kathleen McWhorter emphasizes critical thinking throughout, which helps to prepare learners for their future courses or careers.
In Harmony, Third Edition, is the first book in a two߭part series that shows reading and writing as a single process of understanding and expressing ideas — and how they really do work together in harmony. This volume concentrates on sentences and paragraphs; In Concert explores paragraphs and essays.
The loose-leaf version of this text is also available with MyLab Reading & Writing Skills
MyLab™ is the teaching and learning platform that empowers you to reach every student. By combining trusted content with digital tools and a flexible platform, MyLab personalizes the learning experience and improves results for each student. When students enter your course with varying skill levels, MyLab can help you identify which students need extra support and provide them targeted practice and instruction outside of class.
Note: You are purchasing a standalone product; MyLab Reading & Writing Skills does not come packaged with this content. Students, if interested in purchasing this title with MyLab Reading & Writing Skills, ask your instructor for the correct package ISBN and Course ID. Instructors, contact your Pearson representative for more information.
If you would like to purchase both the physical text (loose-leaf version) and MyLab Reading & Writing Skills, search for:
0135030994 / 9780135030998 In Harmony: Reading and Writing, Books a la Carte Edition Plus MyLab Reading & Writing Skills -- Access Card Package 3/e
Package consists of:
- 0134984404 / 9780134984407 MyLab Reading & Writing Skills with Pearson eText -- Standalone Access Card -- In Harmony: Reading and Writing, 3/e
- 0134746678 / 9780134746678 In Harmony: Reading and Writing, Books a la Carte Edition, 3/e
Table of contents
PART ONE – GETTING STARTED
1. An Overview of the Reading Process (with Writing)
2. An Overview of the Writing Process (with Reading)
3. Vocabulary: Working with Words
PART TWO – READING AND WRITING PARAGRAPHS
4. Main Ideas and Topic Sentences
5. Details, Transitions, and Implied Main Ideas
6. Patterns of Organization: Chronological Order, Process, Narration, and Description
7. Patterns of Organization: Example, Cause and Effect, and Comparison and Contrast
8. Revision and Proofreading
PART THREE – READING, WRITING, AND REVISING ESSAYS
9. Reading and Thinking Critically About Text
10. Reading and Writing Essays
PART FOUR – SENTENCE BASICS AND GRAMMAR ESSENTIALS
11. Complete Sentences Versus Sentence Fragments
12. Run-On Sentences and Comma Splices
13. Using Verbs Correctly
14. Combining and Expanding Your Ideas
15. Revising Confusing and Inconsistent Sentences
A Brief Grammar Handbook
PART FIVE – THEMATIC READER: WRITING IN RESPONSE TO READING
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material