Literature-Based Reading Activities: Engaging Students with Literary and Informational Text, 6th edition
Published by Pearson (May 7th 2013) - Copyright © 2014
You'll get a bound printed text.
This brief, inexpensive, widely-popular resource gives pre-service and in-service teachers practical help and exciting classroom activities for ensuring all students have successful interactions with literature. The unique discussions of the theoretical and research bases supporting all of the activities set the book apart from others in the field, as do the variety of grade levels and genres covered; the adaptability to a wide range of texts; and the guidelines that show readers how to be effective decision-makers as they plan literature instruction for the culturally, linguistically, and academically diverse K—8 students in today’s classrooms. This new edition includes:
- Updated information about sharing literature in the context of today’s classrooms.
- New activities for supporting students’ interactions with literature.
- Numerous new examples of children’s literature, many of them recent award winners.
- Updated discussions of research on recent studies and major reports.
- A new feature, Take Five! (or Take Ten!).
- Ideas and suggestions for using literature in the content areas.
- 11 new activities for expanding teachers’ repertoires for engaging students with literature,
- Increased attention to using technology to support students’ interactions with and responses to literature,
- More than 80 new examples of exceptional literature,
- A list of websites of recommended literature, including positive, authentic examples of literature for diverse populations.
Table of contents
1. Using Literature in the Classroom
New Contexts for Sharing Literature
Rationale for Selection of Activities for This Book
2. Prereading Activities
3. During-Reading Activities
Character Perspective Charts
Circle of Viewpoints
Ten Important Words
Pack the Suitcase
4. Postreading Activities
Literary Report Cards
Sketch to Stretch
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material