Managing and Leading Today's Police:Challenges, Best Practices, Case Studies, 4th edition
Published by Pearson (January 1st 2018) - Copyright © 2019
Police Supervision and Management: In an Era of Community Policing (Subscription)
ISBN-13: 9780134703800Includes: eText
A digital version of the text you can personalize and read online or offline.
Managing and Leading Today's Police:Challenges, Best Practices, Case Studies
ISBN-13: 9780134701271Includes: Paperback
You'll get a bound printed text.
For courses in police administration and management.
A problem-solving approach to modern police leadership
Managing and Leading Today's Police: Challenges, Best Practices, and Case Studies provides a comprehensive insider’s view into the challenging work of police leaders at all levels of management. Using a problem-based learning approach, the authors draw on their extensive practical experience to critique the organizational, personnel, and operational issues facing police agencies and to assert “what works” in contemporary police management. The 4th edition is a major revision, moving from a supervision to a management perspective. It covers new policing strategies, methods, and technologies transforming the field and demanding new knowledge of police supervisors, managers, and leaders.
Table of contents
1. Leading and Managing Today’s Police: Challenges and Opportunities
2. The Dynamics of Police Organizations: Structure and Theories
3. Leadership and Motivation: What Works
4. Communication, Negotiation, and Conflict Resolution
5. Human Resource Management: The Foundation for an Effective Police Department
6. Officers’ Rights, Discipline, and Liability: A Legal and Policy-Driven Framework
7. Leadership Roles in Labor Relations: “Navigating the Waters” of Police Unionization
8. Financial Administration: “Doing More with Less” Since the Great Recession
9. Ethics and Accountability: Building a Culture of Integrity and Trust
10. Community Policing and Problem-Solving: Addressing Crime and Disorder
11. Officer Wellness, Safety, and Stress: Identifying and Managing Harms
12. Police Productivity: Improving Performance
13. Managing Homeland Security and Critical Events
14. Technologies for the Tasks: Tools for Today’s Police Leaders
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material