Deliver trusted content
You deserve teaching materials that meet your own high standards for your course. That’s why we partner with highly respected authors to develop interactive content and course-specific resources that you can trust – and that keep your students engaged.
- Integrated reading and writing content for select courses. In addition to distinct preloaded learning paths for reading/writing skills practice and reading level practice, each text-specific MyLab incorporates numerous practice activities and readings from the accompanying textbook. This makes the connection between what’s done in and out of the classroom more relevant to students.
- An engaging classroom. Generate class discussion, guide your lecture, and promote peer-to-peer learning with real-time analytics. MyLab with eText now provides Learning Catalytics™ – an interactive student response tool that uses students’ smartphones, tablets, or laptops to engage them in more sophisticated tasks and thinking. Instructors can:
- Pose a variety of open-ended questions that help students develop critical-thinking skills.
- Monitor responses to find out where students are struggling.
- Use real-time data to adjust the instructional strategy and try other ways of engaging students during class.
- Manage student interactions by automatically grouping students for discussion, teamwork, and peer-to-peer learning.
- Multimedia assignments. Pearson MediaShare is a one-stop, media-sharing tool that facilitates interactive learning. Good communication skills open doors, whether at school or in the workplace. To build these skills, MediaShare offers an engaging online environment where students can interact with both peers and instructors. Mobile-friendly and structured like a social network, MediaShare facilitates interactive learning by making it easier than ever for students and instructors to share and comment on speeches, group projects, outlines, and more. Users can upload original content for peer and instructor feedback, or embed YouTube content with just a few clicks. And because comments on student speeches are time-stamped, MediaShare lets students process contextualized feedback quickly and easily, leading to improved communication skills. MediaShare is available as a standalone product, as part of MyLab Reading & Writing Skills, or in a package with Revel™.
Empower each learner
Each student learns at a different pace. Personalized learning pinpoints the precise areas where each student needs practice, giving all students the support they need – when and where they need it – to be successful.
- A personalized learning experience. MyLab Reading & Writing diagnoses students’ strengths and weaknesses to provide targeted practice and multimodal activities to help them improve over time. MyLab Reading & Writing Skills can improve students’ reading and writing by offering personalized and adaptive instruction, with integrated learning aids that foster student understanding of skills and ideas.
- MyLab Reading & Writing has three levels of assessment: Path Builder, Topic Post Test, and Mastery Check. Students begin by completing the Path Builder to receive a personalized set of content modules in the Learning Path. Within each module is a Topic Post Test, an additional diagnostic to assess students’ proficiency with the topic. The end Mastery Check then reassesses students’ mastery of the topics. This deliberate macro-to-micro assessment helps students focus on problem areas and accelerate their progress.
- The Lexile® Framework for Reading. MyLab Reading & Writing Skills uses this tool to diagnose a student's reading ability. After an initial Locator Test, students receive readings and practice at their estimated reading level. Throughout the course, periodic diagnostic tests incrementally adjust their level with increasing precision.
- Adaptive study plan. As students progress through the course, MyLab Reading & Writing Skills evaluates their results on each assessment and recommends new topics for study. If they are working in the learning path, the program adapts its recommendations based on their most recent performance. If they are working on a reading assignment, MyLab adapts its recommendations to help build toward that next assignment.
- Integrated learning aids. Within each activity, feedback specific to a student's responses is given to show why an answer is correct or incorrect. Ask My Instructor enables students to email their instructor for help – right at the point at which they are struggling. Students can email a query, accompanied by a copy of the question or concept with which they are having difficulty. In addition, Animations provide interactive, visual (and audio) summaries of the topic's key concepts. A Glossary that defines key or technical terms is also on hand.
Teach your course your way
Your course is unique. So whether you’d like to build your own assignments, teach multiple sections, or set prerequisites, MyLab gives you the flexibility to easily create your course to fit your needs.
- Self study or instructor-driven learning. MyLab Reading & Writing Skills can be set up to fit your specific course needs, whether you seek reading and writing support to complement what you teach in class, a way to easily administer many sections, or a self-paced environment for independent study.
- Assess and measure outcomes. The online Gradebook enables you to see a full range of performance data — from individual students to an entire course. By identifying common mistakes, instructors can tailor their teaching accordingly. Item Analysis provides detailed insight on topic-level activities as well as on reading and writing traits. Advanced reporting scales measurements across multiple sections or an entire program.
- Scalable and shareable content. MyLab Reading & Writing Skills enables a department to manage multiple class sections at once with a standardized syllabus, so that changes made to the coordinator’s course, flow to all related courses. Alternatively, an instructor can share a course so that peers can modify it to fit their course needs. For any course type, faculty can copy their customized settings and course materials from one term to the next.
- Learning Management System (LMS) integration. You can now link from Blackboard Learn, Brightspace by D2L, Canvas, or Moodle to MyLab Reading & Writing Skills. Access assignments, rosters, and resources, and synchronize grades with your LMS gradebook. For students, single sign-on provides access to all the personalized learning resources that make studying more efficient and effective.
Improve student results
When you teach with MyLab, student performance often improves. That’s why instructors have chosen MyLab for over 15 years, touching the lives of over 50 million students.
- Mobile-friendly design. The MyLab exercise player has been updated with a new, streamlined, mobile-friendly design. Many courses are accessible from iPad and Android tablets, where students can work on exercises and review completed assignments. The fresh look is clean and intuitive for efficient studying any time, anywhere.
- Facilitate peer review. Using the Writing Assignment feature, students can utilize instructor-created peer review rubrics to evaluate and comment on other students' writing responses.
- Pearson Tutor Services & TurnItIn. Within MyLab Reading & Writing Skills, individual tutoring through Smarthinking and plagiarism detection through Turnitin are available, if desired.
- ELL content. A new content area, Grammar Skills for Non-Native Speakers, contains 47 topics (split into the standard six levels) and over 330 new activities (Overview, Recall, Apply, Listen, and Post-Test) designed to help native and non-native English speakers alike.
- Writing practice. Optional, automatically graded writing prompts evaluate a student's writing skills and knowledge, providing scoring and feedback to both the instructor and student. These writing prompts are available in the Writing Practice content area.
- Pearson Writer. Integrated into Writing Assignments, The Writer’s Guide section of Pearson Writer gives students a powerful reference guide to grammar, writing, and research without them having to leave their composing space.
- Pearson eText: access anytime, anywhere. The Pearson eText gives students access to their textbook anytime, anywhere. In addition to note taking, highlighting, and bookmarking, the Pearson eText offers interactive and sharing features. Rich media options let students watch lecture and example videos as they read or do their homework. Instructors can share their comments or highlights, and students can add their own, creating a tight community of learners in your class. The Pearson eText companion app allows existing subscribers to access their titles on an iPad or Android tablet for either online or offline viewing.
- 24/7 access to online tutors. Need help with homework? Everyone does once in a while. MyLab Reading & Writing Skills enables students to submit up to three papers to a tutor to receive detailed feedback on all aspects of the writing process.
- Assignment Calendar. Never miss an assignment again. The Assignment Calendar in MyLab Reading & Writing Skills helps students track their progress in the course and get immediate feedback. Simply keep an eye on it and never miss a deadline again.
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material