The mysteries and magic of network management are revealed and simplified in this eminently practical text. The author's participatory, hands-on method introduces and demonstrates the fundamental concepts and techniques of network management. By combining applicable software with almost 400 figures and tables, Dr. Burke leads the reader through the intricacies and challenges of this increasingly important field. The text and software focus on device configuration and monitoring of network traffic. and address fault, configuration, performance, and security management.
This is the first textbook that shows students and professionals how to implement network management concepts. The companion software enables instructors to demonstrate basic techniques while allowing students unlimited practice opportunities to master them. A multitude of tables illustrate network implementation and management strategies.Features
- Provides step-by-step configuration of desktop and network devices.
- Explains the use of SNMP packets to "Get" and "Set" standard objects.
- Comprehensively discusses RMON and RMON2 MIBs and uses them to display and analyze network traffic.
- Explains the new SNMPv3 standard and demonstrates how to use it to configure SNMPv3 agents and provide authentication and encryption of SNMPv3 messages.
- Demonstrates desktop and Web-based management protocols.
- Demonstrates how to access, compile and use device-specific enterprise MIBs.
Table of contents
1. Networking Components.
2. Overview of Network Management.
3. Network Management Strategies.
4. Configuration Client/Server Components.
5. Configuration: Infrastructure Components.
10. Desktop Managements.
11. Web-based Managements.
12. Network Management Initatives.
13. Secure SNMPv3.
Appendix A: IP Addressing and ARP.
Appendix B: Abstract Syntax Notation One (ASN.1).
Appendix C: RFC 1213 “Management Information Base for Network Management of TCP/IP-based Internets: MIB-II.”
Appendix D: ASN.1 Basic Encoding Rules (BER).
Appendix E: Information Management Initiatives.
Appendix F: Additional Meterware Tools.
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material
Published by Pearson (April 30th 2003) - Copyright © 2004