Published byPearson (July 23rd 2020) - Copyright © 2013
A digital version of the text you can personalize and read online or offline.
This is the eBook of the printed book and may not include any media, website access codes, or print supplements that may come packaged with the bound book.
This cost-effective text is a complete introduction to paralegal studies covering the paralegal profession, the American legal system, legal ethics, legal specialty areas, and professional responsibility. Using an innovative text/video format, INTRODUCTION TO PARALEGAL STUDIES captures the essence of the field through the eyes, words and experiences of practicing paralegals. Each chapter features text and video interviews with working professionals that not only introduce the field, but also show how-to do specific paralegal tasks. Each chapter includes pertinent information on statutes, case law and ethical rules and ends with extensive chapter assignments that reinforce content and teach paralegal skills.
Table of contents
Part I: The Paralegal Profession
1. The Definition and Role of a Paralegal
2. Paralegal Careers and Career Preparation
Part II: An Introduction to The American Legal System
3. Sources of American Law and the Civil and Criminal Law System
4. The Court Systems, Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution
Part III: Legal Ethics and Professional Responsibility for Paralegals
5. The Regulation of Paralegals and an Introduction to Legal Ethics
6. The "Big Three" Legal Ethics Areas
7. Other Legal Ethics Rules for Paralegals
Part IV: Paralegal Skills
8. Skills for Workplace Success
9. Conducting Legal Research and Briefing Court Cases
10. Legal Writing
11. Interviewing, Investigating, and Negotiation
Part V: Legal Specialty Areas for Paralegals
12. Business-Related Legal Specialty Areas
13. Other Legal Specialty Areas
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material