Probation and Parole: Corrections in the Community, 13th edition
Published by Pearson (January 12th 2017) - Copyright © 2018
Probation and Parole: Corrections in the Community (Subscription)
ISBN-13: 9780134559490Includes: eText
A digital version of the text you can personalize and read online or offline.
Probation and Parole: Corrections in the Community
ISBN-13: 9780134548616Includes: Paperback
You'll get a bound printed text.
For use in Community Corrections/Probation and Parole courses
An insider’s view of the rapidly changing field of community corrections/probation and parole
Probation and Parole: Corrections in the Community, Thirteenth Edition, looks at the history of the field, and how it moved from a focus on treatment/rehabilitation and the indeterminate sentence toward a model based on control/law enforcement and the determinate sentence. Written by a former community corrections professional, the author provides an insider’s view on how these changes affected the roles and responsibilities of probation and parole officers. In contrast to competing texts, the author weaves his experience with the practices of probation and parole agencies throughout the United States to provide a realistic, state-of-the-art view of the field.
Cutting-edge topics examined and critiqued include: restorative justice, broken windows/community-based supervision, place-based supervision, evidence- based practice, motivational interviewing, cognitive-behavioral therapy, "truth-in-sentencing" and “three-strikes-and-you’re-out”. Additionally, this edition features a thorough examination of how "tough on crime” and “war on drugs” has resulted in a need for "justice reinvestment" and a new focus on community-based correction.
Table of contents
- Probation and Parole in Criminal Justice
- Probation and Parole in Juvenile Justice
- History and Administration of Probation
- Pretrial Services, Sentencing, and the Presentence Report
- American Prisons and the Evolution of Parole
- Administration of Parole Services
- Theory and Practice in Probation and Parole
- Probation and Parole Officers
- Probation and Parole Supervision
- Intermediate Punishments
- Special Issues and Program in Probation and Parole
- Research and the Future of Probation and Parole
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material