The Java Embedded Server from Sun Microsystems, Inc., is a solution for linking consumer devices with services over the Internet. It is based on the Open Services Gateway Initiative (OSGi) Service Gateway Specification 1.0. Written by authors who are intimately involved with the development and implementation of the specification, Programming Open Service Gateways with Java Embedded Server Technology reveals the concepts and inner workings of the Java Embedded Server framework and explains how to program and develop services for open gateways using the Java programming language.
With an emphasis on actual coding, this definitive guide begins by explaining the backdrop in which the residential gateway market emerged. Next, the book discusses the history and mission of the Java Embedded Server product and the OSGi consortium. Throughout the book, the Java Embedded Server technical architecture and the OSGi Service Gateway API are presented with examples and detailed implementations. The book's practical, how-to format shows you how to write code for residential gateway applications that is correct, robust, and efficient while avoiding common traps and pitfalls.
- Overview of OSGi architecture, including basic concepts and features
- How to install Java Embedded Server and develop service bundles
- Design patterns and pitfalls
- How to use the OSGi standard services: log service and HTTP service
- OSGi Device Access (DA) service
- Permission-based security and administration
- The future undertakings of the OSGi consortium
- The OSGi Service Gateway Specification 1.0
Programming Open Service Gateways with Java Embedded Server Technology gives you an insider's perspective on the development process of new applications and services for the residential gateway environment.
Table of contents
2. Getting Started.
3. Architecture and Basic Concepts.
4. Developing Bundles.
5. Cooperation among Service Bundles.
6. Design Patterns and Pitfalls.
7. Standard Services.
8. Device Access.
9. Permission-based Security and Administration.
10. Future Directions.
Appendix A. Code Examples.
Appenidix B. OSGi Service Gateway Specification.
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material