This book gives a modern, comprehensive introduction to the principles of quantum mechanics, to the main approximation methods and to the application of quantum theory to a wide variety of systems. The needs of students having an average mathematical ability are kept very much in mind, with the avoidance of complex mathematical arguments and any undue compression of material
Table of contents
1. The origins of quantum theory.
2. The wave function and the uncertainty principle.
3. The Schrodinger equation.
4. One-dimensional examples.
5. The formalism of quantum mechanics.
6. Angular momentum.
7. The Schrodinger equation in three dimensions.
8. Approximation methods for stationary problems.
9. Approximation methods for time-dependent problems.
10. Several- and many-particle systems.
11. The interaction of quantum systems with radiation.
12. The interaction of quantum systems with external electric and magnetic fields.
13. Quantum collision theory.
14. Quantum statistics.
15. Relativistic quantum mechanics.
16. Further applications of quantum mechanics.
17. Measurement and interpretation.
Appendix A - Fourier integrals and the Dirac delta function.
Appendix B - WKB connection formulae.
Table of fundamental constants.
Table of conversion factors.
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material