This new text examines the design and implementation of lcc, a production-quality, retargetable compiler for the ANSI C programming language, designed at AT&T Bell Laboratories and Princeton University. The authors' innovative approach--a "literate program" that intermingles the text with the source code--gives a detailed tour of the code that explains the implementation and design decisions reflected in the software. And while most books describe toy compilers or focus on isolated pieces of code, the authors provide the entire source code for a real compiler, which is available via ftp. Structured as a self-study guide that describes the real-world tradeoffs encountered in building a production-quality compiler, this book is useful to individuals who work in application areas applying or creating language-based tools and techniques.
- Explores the interaction between compiler theory and practice through the discussion of lcc.
- Covers compiler theory only as needed to understand the implementation of lcc, focusing instead on practical, applied issues.
- Encourages a broader understanding of programming in C through an examination of lcc, a production-quality compiler in use since 1988.
- Provides full code generators for the MIPS R3000, SPARC, and Intel 80x86 architectures and successors.
- The full source code for the lcc compiler, the three back ends, and the code-generator generator is freely available.
- Uses icons and brief indices in the margins to cross- reference code fragments and connect code usage.
Senior undergraduate or graduate level second course. Any researcher or implementer of compilers for parallel or advanced computers.
Table of contents
2. Storage Management.
4. Code Generation Interface.
5. Lexical Analysis.
8. Expression Semantics.
9. Expression Semantics.
12. Generating Immediate Code.
13. Structuring the Code Generator.
14. Selecting and Emitting instructions.
15. Register Allocation.
16. Generating MIPS R3000 Code.
17. Generating SPARC Code.
18. Generating X86 Code.
How to Obtain ICC. 0805316701T04062001
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material
Published by Addison-Wesley Professional (January 31st 1995) - Copyright © 1995