- NEW - NEW! The graphing calculator is now used throughout the text in examples and exercises to help develop and reinforce the coverage of many important topics.
- NEW - NEW! Special Caution and Note indicators are used in the margins when appropriate to identify areas where students commonly make errors and to add emphasis to material that is of particular importance in developing a solid understanding of the topic at hand.
- NEW - NEW! Writing exercises are now included throughout the text to help students learn to express themselves mathematically. There is one specific writing exercise included at the end of each chapter, as well as over 110 additional exercises throughout the book (at least 5 in each chapter) that require at least a sentence or two of explanation along with the answer.
- NEW - NEW! All new chapter openers introduce the topic to be discussed through an application that is illustrated with a drawing. A problem related to this application is solved in an example later in the chapter.
- NEW - NEW! New and updated applications bring students a wealth of realistic examples and problems with which to develop their understanding. There are now about 4,400 exercises (an increase of about 20%), including about 2,000 that are new to this edition. Technical applications are illustrated in about 1,000 of these exercises, including 650 that are new to this edition. The inclusion of business-related examples and exercises appeal to the increasing number of information technology students in this course.
- NEW - NEW! Page Layout Special attention has been given to the page layout in this 4th edition. Nearly all examples are started and completed on the same page and all figures are shown immediately adjacent to the material in which they are discussed.
- NEW - NEW! There are 620 figures in the 4th edition. This is 200 more than in the previous edition! In addition, a new design and trim size make this a more attractive and practical text for students who are visually motivated.
- NEW - NEW! The AW Math Tutor Center is staffed by qualified mathematics instructors who provide students with tutoring on text examples and odd-numbered problems. Tutoring is provided by toll-free telephone, fax, and e-mail. White Board technology allows tutors and students to actually see problems worked while they talk live during the tutoring sessions.
Table of contents
1. Functions and Graphs.
2. Plane Analytic Geometry.
3. The Derivative.
4. Applications of the Derivative.
6. Applications of Integration.
7. Differentiation of the Trigonometric and Inverse Trigonometric Functions.
8. Derivatives of the Exponential and Logarithmic Functions.
9. Integration by Standard Forms.
10. Methods of Integration.
11. Introduction to Partial Derivatives and Double Integrals.
12. Polar and Cylindrical Coordinates.
13. Expansion of Functions in Series.
14. First-Order Differential Equations.
15. Higher-Order Differential Equations.
16. Other Methods of Solving Differential Equations.
Appendix A. Supplementary Topics.
Appendix B. Units of Measurement.
Appendix C. Introduction.
Appendix D. Newton's Method.
Appendix E. A Table of Integrals.
Answers to Odd-Numbered Exercises.
Solutions to Practice Test Problems.
Index of Applications.
Index of Writing Exercises.
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material