For introductory courses in computer concepts, digital literacy, or computer literacy, often including instruction in Microsoft Office.
Explore, discover, and experience technology with the interactive and adaptive Technology in Action—the book that uses technology to teach technology! This book offers a learning system that pushes the envelope of what is possible in technology, and what is helpful in teaching. Although students are more comfortable with the digital environment than ever, their knowledge of the devices they use every day is still limited. The authors focus on tasks that students can accomplish with their devices, and skills they can apply immediately in the workplace, the classroom, and at home. This book fits the way students are learning today.
Also available with MyLab IT
Pearson MyLab™ IT is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment program designed for Information Technology (IT) courses, to engage students and improve results. MyLab IT for Computer Concepts provides activities for Instruction, Practice, Review, and Assessment in a fully integrated course, providing a seamless learning experience. The integrated Pearson eText allows students to experience continuous digital learning in an interactive environment.
Note: You are purchasing a standalone product; Pearson MyLab IT does not come packaged with this content. Students, if interested in purchasing this title with Pearson MyLab IT, ask your instructor for the correct package ISBN and Course ID. Instructors, contact your Pearson representative for more information
Table of contents
1. Using Technology to Change the World
2. Looking at Computers: Understanding the Parts
3. Using the Internet: Making the Most of the Web’s Resources
4. Application Software: Programs That Let You Work and Play
5. System Software: The Operating System, Utility Programs, and File Management
6. Understanding and Assessing Hardware: Evaluating Your System
7. Networking: Connecting Computing Devices
8. Managing a Digital Lifestyle: Media and Ethics
9. Securing Your System: Protecting Your Digital Data and Devices
10. Behind the Scenes: Software Programming
11. Behind the Scenes: Databases and Information Systems
12. Behind the Scenes: Networking and Security in the Business World
13. Behind the Scenes: How the Internet Works
Appendix A. The History of the Personal Computer
Appendix B. Careers in IT
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material