Virtual private networks have become an essential part of today's business networks, as they provide a cost-effective means of assuring private internal and external communications over the shared Internet infrastructure. Virtual Private Networks: Technologies and Solutions is a comprehensive, practical guide to VPNs. This book presents the various technology components, concrete solutions, and best practices you need to deploy and manage a highly successful VPN.
Readers will find an overview of fundamental VPN concepts and architectures, followed by an in-depth examination of advanced features and functions such as tunneling, authentication, access control, VPN gateways, VPN clients, and VPN network and service management. Specific topics covered include:
- IPsec, featuring the Authentication Header, Encapsulating Security Payload, Internet Key
- Exchange, and implementation details
- PPTP, L2F, L2TP, and MPLS as VPN tunneling protocols
- Two-party and three-party authentication, including RADIUS and Kerberos
- Public key infrastructure (PKI) and its integration into VPN solutions
- Access control policies, mechanisms, and management, and their application to VPNs
- VPN gateway functions, including site-to-site intranet, remote access, and extranet
- Gateway configuration, provisioning, monitoring, and accounting
- Gateway interaction with firewalls and routers
- VPN client implementation issues, including interaction with operating systems
- Client operation issues, including working with NAT, DNS, and link MTU limits
- VPN management architectures and tunnel and security management
- Outsourcing and service provider environments
The book concludes with a forward look at the future of VPNs that examines such issues as security and quality of service (QoS). VPN scenarios throughout the book demonstrate how to put the described techniques and technologies to work in a real-world Virtual Private Network.
Table of contents
I. VPN FUNDAMENTALS.
II. VPN TECHNOLOGIES.
III. VPN SOLUTIONS.
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material
Published by Addison-Wesley Professional (April 24th 2001) - Copyright © 2001