This ground-breaking book describes the Visual Modelling Technique (VMT), a comprehensive methodology that integrates visual programming into the object-oriented application development life cycle. VMT expands the life cycle significantly by adding to it the re-engineering of corporate business processes; in addition, the methodology captures the enterprise's business rules and uses them to augment the use-case construct in a very powerful way.
The book shows how the visual programming paradigm, when supported by effective tools, becomes central to the productivity of object developers. The authors explain in a clear and systematic way how to use visual programming to efficiently perform real-world modelling and application construction from reusable software parts.
VMT is a proven methodology that is used by many corporations in North America, Europe, Latin America, and Asia. The IBM Software Solutions Laboratories have selected VMT as the methodology of choice for the VisualAge for Smalltalk and C++ Developer Certification programs.
Highlights of Visual Modelling Technique:
- Explains how to build object models by drawing knowledge from use-cases, domain descriptions, and problem statements.
- Describes how to build both model and view components with visual programming.
- Examines the design of distributed object applications with object request brokers and distributed languages.
- Illustrates how to chart business processes and shows how to build enterprise architectures based on processes and objects.
- Discusses the role of business rules in capturing requirements.
- Presents the management issues to consider when transitioning to object technology.
- Includes a real-life case study that is developed throughout the book and highlights all aspects of the VMT methodology.
Table of contents
I. VISUAL MODELING TECHNIQUE.
II. VMT AND DISTRIBUTED OBJECTS.
III. MANAGEMENT ASPECTS.
IV. BUSINESS PROCESS REENGINEERING AND OBJECT TECHNOLOGY.
All the material you need to teach your courses.Discover teaching material