Bug Club Phonics has been revalidated as a DfE systematic synthetic phonics (SSP) programme
We're pleased to share that the DfE has revalidated Bug Club Phonics in the first validation window meaning it is eligible for funding via the English Hubs, and is deemed to meet all the criteria for an effective systematic synthetic phonics programme!
The DfE’s list of validated programmes can be found here.
Bug Club Phonics offers schools a complete systematic synthetic phonics programme.
An annual subscription:
- Features daily lessons from the start of Reception
Teaches the main grapheme-phoneme correspondences of English in a clearly defined, incremental sequence.
- Gets children reading and spelling from very early on.
- Includes blending for reading and segmenting for spelling activities.
- Provides opportunities for children to practise and apply known phoneme-grapheme correspondences for spelling through dictation of sounds, words and sentences
Features language sessions that teach ‘tricky’ common exception words.
- Provides resources that support the teaching of lower-case and capital letters correctly, with clear start and finish points.
- Includes direct teaching sessions, with extensive teacher-child interaction and involves a multi-sensory approach
Has reading texts that closely match what has been taught up to that point.
- Includes assessments and support for the lowest 20%.
- Provides full guidance for teachers to support the effective delivery of the programme.
- Provides remote learning capabilities via eBooks, allocatable teaching screens and phonics games.
We’re also adding new readers to Bug Club Phonics throughout this year giving schools the choice from 180 books!