DescriptionFor 2-semester Anatomy & Physiology Courses
This package includes MasteringA&P®
Built for the Way Today’s Students Learn
Human Anatomy & Physiology takes a learner-centered approach to help today’s A&P students grasp key concepts in anatomy and physiology, and apply these concepts to understand how the human body works. Amerman uses just-in-time coaching, focused and uncluttered visuals that show one-concept-at-a-time, rich self-assessments, and author-narrated animations and videos to provide students the help they need when they need it most. The text’s approachable style and wide variety of online learning tools for today’s on-the-go student makes A&P accessible for all learners—visual, kinesthetic, or auditory.
Personalize Learning with MasteringA&P
MasteringA&P is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment program designed to improve results by helping students quickly master concepts. Students benefit from self-paced tutorials that feature immediate wrong-answer feedback and hints that emulate the office-hour experience to help keep students on track. MasteringA&P’s wide range of interactive, engaging, and assignable activities encourage students to actively learn and retain tough course concepts.
MasteringA&P is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment program designed to improve results by helping students quickly master concepts. Students benefit from self-paced tutorials that feature immediate wrong-answer feedback and hints that emulate the office-hour experience to help keep students on track. MasteringA&P’s wide range of interactive, engaging, and assignable activities encourage students to actively learn and retain tough course concepts. Pre-built courses and assignments are available to get you started easily and quickly.
MasteringA&P includes the following assignable Coaching Activities:
- Mobile-ready Big Picture Animation Activities help students visualize events occurring at the molecular level and reflect the same terminology and explanations found in the Amerman textbook to ensure a consistent learning experience. Each animation is narrated by Amerman and includes interactive quizzes with immediate feedback.
- Mobile-ready Concept Boost Video Tutor Activities feature the author teaching directly to students and coaching them on select topics that are particularly tough-to-understand.
- NEW! Mobile-ready Interactive Physiology® 2.0 help students advance beyond memorization to a genuine understanding of complex physiological processes. Full-color animations and videos demonstrate difficult concepts to reinforce the material. IP references appear in relevant end-of-chapter summaries and direct students to corresponding IP modules. IP 2.0 features brand new graphics, quicker navigation, and more robust mobile-ready interactivities where students can explore, draw, and predict.
- NEW! Get Ready for A&P Learning Styles Test plus Diagnostic and Cumulative Tests along with Get Ready for A&P Video Tutors feature award-winning teacher Lori Garrett walking students through key basic concepts needed for students to be successful in A&P. The key concepts covered include: Atomic Structures, Chemical Bonds, Ionic Bonds, Covalent Bonds, Hydrogen Bonds, General Cell Structure, Cell Membrane Structure, Diffusion, Osmosis, and Cell Cycle. Each Video Tutor includes assignable, multiple-choice questions that include hints and specific wrong-answer feedback.
- A&P Flix™ Coaching Activities provide 3D movie-quality animations of key physiological processes for lecture presentation and student review.
- Clinical Case Study Coaching Activities increase problem-solving skills and prepare students for future careers in allied health. Corresponding Teaching Strategies and Worksheets located in the Instructor Resources section of MasteringA&P give instructors valuable tips on using case studies in the classroom. Also, available in the Study Area of MasteringA&P.
- Dynamic Study Modules offer students an easy, mobile-friendly way to study chapter content on the go. As students answer questions to master the chapter content, they receive detailed feedback with text and art from the book itself. Dynamic Study Modules help students acquire, retain, and recall information faster and more efficiently than ever before.
- Practicing A&P: Active-Learning Worksheets help engage the kinesthetic learner with labeling, drawing, and build-your-own summary table exercises that students can complete as they read the Amerman text. Available as downloadable PDFs in the Study Area and in the Instructor Resources for Mastering. Can also be packaged as a print supplement at no additional cost.
- Author podcasts, narrated by Erin Amerman, give on-the-go students and auditory learners the opportunity to review tough topics in A&P. Available as downloadable MP3 audio files in the Study Area.
- Chapter Running Case Activities challenge students to apply their understanding of key A&P concepts to a real-world episodic clinical case that pertains directly to the material being covered in each chapter.
- Practice Anatomy Lab™ (PAL™) 3.0 is an indispensable virtual anatomy study and practice tool that gives your students 24/7 access to the most widely used lab specimens including human cadaver, anatomical models, histology, cat, and fetal pig. PAL 3.0 also includes multiple-choice quizzes and practice fill-in-the-blank lab practicals. Assignable in MasteringA&P – see PAL 3.0 Test Bank. Also, available in the Study Area of MasteringA&P.
- PhysioEx™ 9.1 is easy-to-use physiology laboratory simulation software. Every exercise includes an overview and every activity includes objectives, an introduction, a pre-lab quiz, the experiment, a post-lab quiz, review sheet questions, and a lab report that your students can save as a PDF and print and/or email to their instructor. Assignable in MasteringA&P – see PhysioEx 9.1. Also, available in the Study Area of MasteringA&P.
- NEW! Learning Catalytics™ is an interactive, classroom tool that uses students’ smartphones, tablets, or laptops to engage them in more sophisticated tasks and thinking. Now included with Mastering with eText, Learning Catalytics enables you to generate classroom discussion, guide your lecture, and promote peer-to-peer learning with real-time analytics. Instructors, you can:
- Pose a variety of open-ended questions that help your students develop critical thinking skills
- Monitor responses to find out where students are struggling
- Use real-time data to adjust your instructional strategy and try other ways of engaging your students during class
- Manage student interactions by automatically grouping students for discussion, teamwork, and peer-to-peer learning
- Art Labeling and Ranking/Sorting Questions are drag-and-drop activities with wrong-answer feedback that allow students to assess their knowledge of terms and structures as well as the order of steps and elements involved in physiological processes.
- PLUS Chemistry Review Activities, Reading Quizzes, Art-based Questions, Chapter Tests, and more
- PLUS A&P Lab Manual Resources for Whiting’s Human Anatomy & Physiology Laboratory Manual: Making Connections are assignable and available for student practice and preparation, including pre-lab assignments, post-lab assignments, PAL and PhysioEx assessments, A&P Flix animations, and the Dynamic Study Modules.
- Over 40 Concept Boosts throughout the book where Amerman anticipates where students need extra help and gives students just-in-time coaching on key A&P concepts that are often difficult or tricky. They often incorporate familiar analogies and simple illustrations, giving students a boost to fully understanding the content.
- Mobile-ready Concept Boost Video Tutors feature the author teaching directly to students and walking them through topics that are particularly tough-to-understand. Select Video Tutors are assignable in MasteringA&P and are also available in the Study Area.
- One-concept-at-a-time art focuses on teaching one concept per figure so that students can instantly grasp the key idea without being distracted by a sea of details. For key physiology concepts, unique sequence figures unpack information so that each scene contains only the most important information.
- Big Picture Figures visually summarize key physiological processes and anatomy concepts, highlighting only what is most important.
- Mobile-ready Big Picture Animations bring the Big Picture Figures to life andhelp reinforce students’ understanding of each step in a key process. Each animation is author-narrated and include interactive quizzes with immediate feedback.
Helps Students Stay on Track and Tackle the Rigor of A&P
Before the course
- MyReadinessTest for A&P by Lori K. Garrett is a powerful online system that gets students prepared before their course starts. It not only assesses students’ proficiency in study skills and foundational concepts in science and math, but also tutors them in core areas where they need additional practice and review. It offers:
- Student online access upon registration for their A&P course
- NEW! Learning Styles Test plus Diagnostic Test and Cumulative Test based on learning outcomes from widely used primer, Get Ready for A&P.
- Personalized Study Plan based on students’ test results that include practice questions with Tutorials
- Flexible Testing that allows instructors to edit the Diagnostic Test or implement their own placement test or exit exam
- Gradebook that automatically records students’ results.
- Students can take the assignable NEW! Learning Styles Test and Diagnostic Test in Get Ready for A&P in MasteringA&P to assess their base knowledge at the start of the course.
- “How to Succeed in A&P” section in Chapter 1 of the Amerman text introduces students to core study skills, including how to manage time, how to take notes, and how to study for an A&P exam. Amerman also guides students through how to use the textbook, workbook, and online tools.
- Recurring Core Principles icons appear throughout the book and remind students to recall and apply four core principles introduced in Chapter 1: Structure-Function, Feedback Loops, Gradients, and Cell-Cell Communication.
- In-the-moment visual reminders of key foundational science concepts appear as needed to help students recall and apply given concepts.
- Flashback questions encourage students to think about previously learned concepts that they will need to apply in order to understand upcoming discussions.
- Quick Check questionsappear throughout each module to test students’ basic understanding of the material.
- Apply What You Learned questions at the end of each module ask students to think critically and apply what they’ve just learned to a real-world scenario.
New to This Edition
Table of Contents
BRIEF TABLE OF CONTENTS
Unit 1: Fundamental Principles of Anatomy and Physiology
Chapter 1: Introduction to Anatomy & Physiology
Chapter 2: The Chemistry of Life
Chapter 3: The Cell
Chapter 4: Histology
Unit 2: Body Coverings and Movement
Chapter 5: The Integumentary System
Chapter 6: Bones and Bone Tissue
Chapter 7: The Skeletal System
Chapter 8: Articulations
Chapter 9: The Muscular System
Chapter 10: Muscle Tissue & Physiology
Unit 3: Integration, Control, and Maintenance of Homeostasis
Chapter 11: Introduction to the Nervous System & Nervous Tissue
Chapter 12: The Central Nervous System
Chapter 13: The Peripheral Nervous System
Chapter 14: The Autonomic Nervous System & Homeostasis
Chapter 15: The Special Senses
Chapter 16: The Endocrine System
Unit 4: Transport and Immunity
Chapter 17: The Cardiovascular System I: The Heart
Chapter 18: The Cardiovascular System II: Blood Vessels
Chapter 19: Blood
Chapter 20: The Lymphatic System & Immunity
Chapter 21: The Respiratory System
Unit 5: Regulation of the Body’s Intake and Output
Chapter 22: The Digestive System
Chapter 23: Metabolism & Nutrition
Chapter 24: The Urinary System
Chapter 25: Fluid, Electrolyte & Acid-Base Homeostasis
Unit 6: Continuity of Life
Chapter 26: The Reproductive System
Chapter 27: Development & Heredity
Important: To use the test banks below, you must download the TestGen software from the TestGen website. If you need help getting started, read the tutorials on the TestGen site.
Mastering A&P without Pearson eText -- Instructor Access Code
Pearson Education & Pearson Education
|Format||Digital Access Code|
|Instructors, request access|
Websites and online courses
|Online purchase price||$69.99|
|Online purchase price||$69.99|
Other Student Resources
Interactive Physiology 2.0
Pearson Education, Pearson Education, Hebert, Feige, Campbell & Schapel
|Online purchase price||$29.99|
Not yet available.
Pearson offers special pricing when you package your text with other student resources. If you're interested in creating a cost-saving package for your students, contact your Pearson rep.
About the Author(s)
Erin C. Amerman, Florida State College at Jacksonville
Erin Amerman teaches anatomy and physiology at Florida State College at Jacksonville. She has been involved in anatomy and physiology education for more than 14 years as an author and professor. She received a B.S. in cellular and molecular biology from the University of West Florida and a doctorate in podiatric medicine from Des Moines University. She is also the author of the best-selling Exploring Anatomy and Physiology in the Laboratory, now in its second edition,with Morton Publishing Company. Erin is deeply committed to helping her students succeed in the A&P course, and to generating curiosity and excitement about the material and its application in their future health careers. She is a member of the Human Anatomy and Physiology Society (HAPS) and enjoys attending the annual HAPS conferences, especially when they are in locations that have ample hiking opportunities and many different species of snake.
Virginia Irintcheva, Black Hawk College
Virginia Irintcheva is the author of the Big Picture Animations and assessments in MasteringA&P® for this textbook. She is an associate professor at Black Hawk College in Moline, Illinois, where she has been teaching courses in anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, and biology for more than 8 years. She was born and raised in Bulgaria. She earned a B.S. in biology and Spanish from St. Louis University, where she studied in Madrid, Spain, as well as in Missouri. She earned her Ph.D. in pharmacological and physiological sciences in 2006 from St. Louis University. Her primary research interests are cell signaling and, specifically, the effects of the coagulation protein thrombin and the family of Ras proteins on cell growth and proliferation. As a teacher, her fundamental goal is to create an environment of effective communication by promoting mutual respect and successful learning. Virginia strives to teach her students not only what to learn, but also how to learn and why they are learning.
We're sorry! We don't recognize your username or password. Please try again.
Instructor resource file download
The work is protected by local and international copyright laws and is provided solely for the use of instructors in teaching their courses and assessing student learning.
You have successfully signed out and will be required to sign back in should you need to download more resources.