DescriptionFor Principles of Management courses.
Financial crises, catastrophic disasters, and business scandals are constantly making today’s headlines. Annie McKee, author of the textbook Management: A Focus on Leaders , believes that amidst these issues we are experiencing a unique opportunity to add new fervor to the way we prepare students for the future. Directly addressing the challenges and opportunities in our changing world, Management: A Focus on Leaders shows future managers how to lead in a complex, yet exciting, global environment.
This product is an alternate version of
|Format||Unbound (saleable) with Access Card|
|Online purchase price||$233.32|
|Online purchase price||$213.32|
This product is part of the following series. Click on a series title to see the full list of products in the series.
To help students prepare for the unprecedented challenges they will face in today’s business world, the central theme of this text is on leadership, which is deeply embedded into the material from beginning to end. The author's practical approach to leadership is also steeped in the best and most current research, providing students with the most up-to-date information.
Bringing Everything Together–Integrated Approach.
In order to gain a better understanding of management as a whole, topics such as planning, organizing, leading, and controlling should be viewed as interconnected ideas. This text encourages students to think about management from a big-picture standpoint, rather than present a series of seemingly unrelated, isolated topics.
This text uses an outcome-driven approach that focuses on how students can immediately apply the knowledge, theories, and concepts they learn in the course to their personal and professional lives.
Tradition Meets NOW–Essential, Current Topics.
Today’s workplace is vastly different than it has been in previous years. In order to better reflect the environment in which students will soon find themselves, this text has incorporated key and current management topics into the material. Examples include:
- Ethics and the responsible use of power
- Social, technological, and organizational change
- The need for innovation
- The power of human diversity
- Leadership at all levels
- Sustainable organizations and communities
Knowing the Depths of One’s Strengths–and Weaknesses.
Enhancing students’ ability to be self-aware is crucial to helping them become effective leaders. With the collection of Self-Assessment Quizzes found in mymanagementlab –the robust online assessment and tutorial tool available with Annie McKee’s new textbook Management: A Focus on Leaders –students can see where they stand and what they need to improve in order to become successful leaders and managers in today’s business world. mymanagementlab also features:
- Interactive lessons
- BizTube videos
- eBook version of all chapters
- Video clips
- PowerPoint® presentations
- And more!
OTHER POINTS OF DISTINCTION
Leading by Examples.
Management: A Focus on Leaders is filled with pedagogical features to help get students invested in the material and aid them as they study and learn.
- Integrated Model of Management and Leadership. The beginning of each chapter shows how the traditional functions of management are linked–with leadership as the central focus.
- “What can we all do about…” Sections. Appearing at the end of each chapter, these sections bring home key and practical lessons related to the chapter content, helping students see what they’ve learned and how to use it now–and in the future.
- Real Life, Real Leaders. One outstanding leader is featured in every chapter of this text, where they provide advice and compelling stories that are relevant to today’s students. These leaders have been carefully selected to share their thoughts and wisdom about current topics and leadership.
- Student’s Choice Case. In each chapter there is at least one Student’s Choice case written by current students about what they believe to be great leadership and important topics today. These cases give peer-to-peer insight on the types of topics and concepts students find compelling in the field of management.
- “What can HR do about…” Sections address how HR supports people and the organization through processes, programs, and activities related to leadership, organization, planning, change, and guiding/managing people’s activities around efficiency and effectiveness.
- Most Popular Discussion Questions. At the end of every major heading throughout the text, the authors have included provocative questions that draw students’ attention to their own experience, causing them to consider and analyze key issues.
- A Visual Summary is included at the end of each chapter to help students study. This summary also includes a list of key terms so students won’t have to search through the text to find them.
New to This Edition
Features and content that have been strengthened and added to the second edition include:
- Key current events and their impact on businesses, managers and leaders.
- New Leadership Perspectives that incorporate powerful guidance and wisdom on what it means to lead today’s top organizations and institutions; other Perspectives have been updated based on new interviews, conducted by the author.
- Business Case: Each chapter contains at least one case study about business challenges and leadership.
- New and updated examples of real leaders facing real opportunities challenges in organizations today.
- Visual Models: The author has created three special visual models that support the most important concepts in the text. The first is the integrated model of management and leadership, found at the beginning of each chapter, which shows how the traditional functions of management are actually linked with leadership at the center. Students will also find an icon that reminds them of the importance of social and emotional intelligence, and an icon that depicts human resources’ ever-more-important leadership role in supporting businesses and organizations today.
- Streamlined and updated section in each chapter on how human resources can impact chapter topic areas, as well as how the function can support leadership development and smoothly-running businesses and institutions.
- Streamlined and updated section in each chapter on how all of us can become outstanding ethical leaders.
Table of Contents
1. Managing and Leading Today: The New Rules.
2. The Leadership Imperative: It’s Up to You.
3. Motivation and Meaning: What Makes People Want to Work?
4. Communication: The Key to Resonant Relationships.
5. Planning and Strategy: Bringing the Vision to Life.
6. The Human Side of Planning: Decision Making and Critical Thinking.
7. Change: A Focus on Adaptability and Resiliency.
8. Workplace Essentials: Creativity, Innovation, and a Spirit of Entrepreneurship.
9. Organizing for a Complex World: Forces Affecting Organizational Structure and Design.
10. Teams and Team Building: How to Work Effectively with Others.
11. Working in a Virtual World: Technology as a Way of Life.
12. Organizational Controls: People, Processes, Quality, and Results.
13. Culture: It’s Powerful.
14. Globalization: Managing Effectively in a Global Economic Environment.
15. Sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility: Ensuring the Future.
16. Managing and Leading for Tomorrow: A Focus on Your Future.
Important: To use the test banks below, you must download the TestGen software from the TestGen website. If you need help getting started, read the tutorials on the TestGen site.
|Online purchase price||$59.99|
Websites and online courses
|Online purchase price||$59.99|
Other Student Resources
Pearson offers special pricing when you package your text with other student resources. If you're interested in creating a cost-saving package for your students, contact your Pearson rep.
We're sorry! We don't recognize your username or password. Please try again.
Instructor resource file download
The work is protected by local and international copyright laws and is provided solely for the use of instructors in teaching their courses and assessing student learning.
You have successfully signed out and will be required to sign back in should you need to download more resources.