Intervention with Children and Adolescents: An Interdisciplinary Perspective
©2004 |Pearson | Out of print
Paula Allen-Meares, Ph.D., University of Michigan
Mark W. Fraser, Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
©2004 |Pearson | Out of print
This contributed text explores child intervention among professionals to promote the mental health and well-being of children and adolescents.
Using a risk-and-resilience orientation, this text offers a diverse interdisciplinary perspective and practice guidelines for designing and implementing interventions across a wide range of social and health problems in childhood and adolescence for practitioners, students, and parents. Leading scholars from a variety of academic, political, and professional disciplines critically review literature in physical abuse, drugs, pregnancy, gangs, mental disorders, and other areas of child and adolescent practice to advocate change in child outcomes.
Foreword by David Hawkins.
1. Introduction, Paula Allen-Meares, Mark Fraser.
2. Contributions of Risk Research to the Design of Successful Interventions, Arnold J. Sameroff, Leslie Morrison Gutman.
3. Ethnicity and Culture, Oscar Barbarin, Terry McCandies, Cheri Coleman, Tamara Atkinson.
4. Gender Differences in Childhood and Adolescence, Cathryn C. Potter.
5. Social Work Practice with Gay and Lesbian Children and Adolescents, John F. Longres, William S. Etnyre.
6. Interventions and Children in Poverty, Miriam Linver, Allison Sidle Fuligni, Magdalena Hernandez, Jeanne Brooks-Gunn.
7. Prevention and Treatment Strategies Targeting Physical Child Abuse and Neglect, Neil B. Guterman, Richard A. Embry.
8. Child and Adolescent Sexual Abuse, Sandra J. Kaplan.
9. School-Based Interventions for Students with Emotional/ Behavioral Disorders, K. Richard Young, Michelle Marchant, Lynn K. Wilder.
10. Autistic Spectrum Disorders: Assessment and Intervention, Mark C. Holter.
11. Treatment and Early Intervention for Schizophrenia, Carol T. Mowbray, Debbie Gioia-Hasick.
12. Depression During the School-Aged Years, Daphna Oyserman.
13. Prevention and Intervention in Youth Suicide, Mark J. Macgowan.
14. What Can be Done to Prevent and Assist School Dropouts? Russell W. Rumberger.
15. The Prevention and Treatment of Adolescent Drug Abuse, Kenneth W. Griffin, Gilbert J. Botvin.
16. AIDS/STD Prevention for U.S. Adolescents, Mary L. Rogers Gillmore.
17. Lost Childhoods: Risk and Resiliency Among Runaway and Homeless Adolescents, Kimberly A. Tyler, Les B. Whitbeck.
18. Adolescent Pregnancy and Parenting: A Bio-Psychosocial Framework, Jacqueline Corcoran, Cynthia Franklin.
19. Bullying and Peer Victimization in Schools, Ron Avi Astor, Rami Benbenishty, Ronald O. Pitner, Heather Ann Meyer.
20. Review of Research on Predictors of Youth Violence and School Based and Community Based Prevention Approaches, Todd J. Herrenkohl, Ick-Joong Chung, Richard F. Catalano.
21. Adolescent Sex Offenders: Characteristics, Prevention and Treatment, William D. Murphy, I. Jacqueline Page, Melissa Hoffman.
22. Youth Gangs: Prevention and Intervention, James C. Howell.
23. Eating Disorders: Prevention and Intervention Strategies with Children and Adolescents, Roslyn B. Binford, Melissa Pederson Mussell, Lisa Rogers, Joy L. Johnson-Lind, Kathryn B. Miller.
24. Conclusion, Mark Fraser, Paula Allen-Meares.
Pearson offers special pricing when you package your text with other student resources. If you're interested in creating a cost-saving package for your students, contact your Pearson rep.
We're sorry! We don't recognize your username or password. Please try again.
The work is protected by local and international copyright laws and is provided solely for the use of instructors in teaching their courses and assessing student learning.
You have successfully signed out and will be required to sign back in should you need to download more resources.