Community College Experience, Brief Edition, The, 2nd Edition
©2009 |Pearson | Out of print
Amy Baldwin, M.A., University of Central Arkansas
©2009 |Pearson | Out of print
For Freshman Orientation, Introduction to College, College Survival, and College Seminar courses.
The only book on the market written with the first-time community college student in mind, this text provides basic information as well as encouragement for the non-traditional student—it shows that going to college and balancing work and family can be accomplished. It covers a range of topics, examining the reasons for attending college, how to study effectively, and life after community college. Each chapter explores a major “college survival” topic in depth and provides a wealth of information for anyone who has stepped onto campus for the first time. This new edition streamlines the chapters and provides a more logical treatment of topics in the sequence in which students experience them their first semester in college. The very important issue of time management is integrated throughout the book so that students can discover different ways of staying on task. This new edition also provides more information about completing assignments effectively and managing health issues.
TECHNOLOGY OFFERING: MyStudentSuccessLab is available with this book upon request. It is an online solution designed to help students ‘Start strong, Finish stronger’ by building skills for ongoing personal and professional development. Go to www.mystudentsuccesslab.com/coming for a Point and Click DEMO of the Time Management module.
“I like the fact that this text is written with the community college student in mind. Other texts seem to ignore how different the freshman year experience is at the community college as compared to a traditional residential university. I also like the practical counsel offered in various sections of each chapter. These are very real, very honest and extremely engaging to the intended audience.”
--Larry Saffioti, Tidewater Community College
“I found the information in the text to be very easy to read and practical which always makes these topics more meaningful to students. The use of profiles and critical thinking exercises allows students to be able to apply themselves to a given situation and think about how to handle it the best way possible…It is one thing to start college but it is another to know why you are even doing it and I believe this is a strength of the text.”
--James Mendoza, Tacoma Community College
Sample chapter is available for download in PDF format.
This material is protected under all copyright laws, as they currently exist. No portion of this material may be reproduced, in any form or by any means, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Helps students understand the college's culture and function.
Allows students to see themselves in these profiles, enhancing their learning experience, showing them how to cope with pressure and succeeding.
Shows students how integrity is essential to their education and their lives.
Enables students to see how circumstances will change if they transfer to a four-year university.
Enables students to envision their future careers and the impact education will have on them.
Gives students the opportunity to further explore ideas that interest them.
Enables students to know whether or not online classes are right for them.
NEW! Time Management Information and Exercises.
NEW! Critical Thinking Exercises.
NEW! Relating to Others Exercises (formerly Collaboration Exercises).
NEW! Reflection Exercises.
NEW! Updated Topic coverage.
NEW! Additional Instructor Resources available with this edition.
TECHNOLOGY AND PEARSON CHOICES
MyStudentSuccessLab 3.0 (www.mystudentsuccesslab.com) is an online solution designed to help students ‘Start strong, Finish stronger’ by building skills for ongoing personal and professional development. This TOPICAL based technology promotes student engagement through:
· Video interviews on key issues ‘by students, for students’.
· The Learning Path Diagnostic offers 65 Full Course Pre-Diagnostic (Bloom’s Taxonomy level 1-2) and 65 Full Course Post-Diagnostic Bloom’s Taxonomy level 3-4)questions, and 20 pre-test (Bloom’s Taxonomy level 1-2) and 20 post-test (Bloom’s Taxonomy level 3-4) questions.
· The Practice exercises improve class preparation and learning.
· Graded Activities build critical thinking skills and develop problem-solving abilities (includes Essays and Journaling).
· Instructors benefit from an Implementation Guide to easily assign and assess progress.
· Students have access to relevant FinishStronger247 YouTube videos, the Pearson student Facebook page chock full of tips, MySearchLab use for doing effective research, and more.
PearsonChoices - CourseSmart and Custom Publishing. Having choices for how to deliver course content is important.
· CourseSmart Textbooks Online is an exciting new choice for students looking to save money. As an alternative to purchasing the print textbook, students can subscribe to the same content online and save up to 50% off the suggested list price of the print text. With a CourseSmart e-textbook, students can search the text, make notes online, print out reading assignments that incorporate lecture notes, and bookmark important passages for later review. For more information, or to subscribe, visit www.coursesmart.com.
· Pearson Custom Publishing allows professors to create their own professionally produced customized textbooks and media products to best complement their course. We offer high-quality content, professional design, quick production, and reliable on-time delivery. The result is a valuable textbook that students will use, cover to cover, tailored to meet exactly the needs of the professor, students, and course. Visit www.pearsoncustom.com.
I. ACCLIMATING AND RELATING.
8. Handling Stress and Making Healthy Choices
9. Planning for Next Semester
10. Preparing for a Career and a Life
APPENDIX A: Glossary
APPENDIX B: Taking an Online Course
Pearson offers affordable and accessible purchase options to meet the needs of your students. Connect with us to learn more.
K12 Educators: Contact your Savvas Learning Company Account General Manager for purchase options. Instant Access ISBNs are for individuals purchasing with credit cards or PayPal.
Savvas Learning Company is a trademark of Savvas Learning Company LLC.
Amy Baldwin, M.A., is a Distance Education Coordinator at Pulaski Technical College in North Little Rock, Arkansas. She has taught on-campus and online composition and literature classes and has presented on the topics of plagiarism, distance education, and college publications at regional and state conferences. Her first textbook, The Community College Experience, was published by Prentice Hall in July 2004; her second textbook, The Community College Experience PLUS , followed in January 2006.
We're sorry! We don't recognize your username or password. Please try again.
The work is protected by local and international copyright laws and is provided solely for the use of instructors in teaching their courses and assessing student learning.
You have successfully signed out and will be required to sign back in should you need to download more resources.