Keys to Success: Cultural Awareness and Global Citizenship
©2013 |Pearson | Out of print
Carol J. Carter, LifeBound, LLC
Joyce Bishop, LifeBound, LLC
Sarah Lyman Kravits, Montclair State University
©2013 |Pearson | Out of print
For Student success courses, particularly at career and two-year colleges.
Keys to Success: Cultural Awareness and Global Citizenship is an informative module which helps readers both understand cultural awareness and know how being culturally aware can benefit them. It brings in a practical angle with a focus on how being a global citizen can make a difference in settings both large and small.
This module defines cultural awareness comprehensively, including information about the four levels of development and the advantages of being culturally aware. Then it takes cultural awareness into the realm of action with a discussion of cultural competence, which involves adjusting behavior in ways that enhance relationships and communication. It continues the focus on practical action with an overview of what it means to be a global citizen, helping readers understand their place in the global community and their potential to make a difference. The final section presents ways that readers can take action as global citizens, including environmental stewardship and communicating effectively across the globe.
TECHNOLOGY OFFERING: MyStudentSuccessLab is available with this book upon request. It is an online solution designed to help students ‘Start strong, Finish stronger’ by building skills for ongoing personal and professional development. Go to http://mystudentsuccesslab.com/mssl3 for a Point and Click DEMO of the Time Management module.
"This is a really comprehensive chapter with compelling reasons presented for why students (indeed, all people!) should care about cultural awareness and competence. It provides the tools to becoming a better, more productive, more aware member of human society."
--Dede deLaughter, Gainesville State College
"The chapter works well in explaining why students today need to be more aware of what is going on globally and not just in their own little world. The chapter is well-organized and has good examples and exercises."
--Jennifer Woltjen, Broome Community College
Sample chapter is available for download in PDF format.
This material is protected under all copyright laws, as they currently exist. No portion of this material may be reproduced, in any form or by any means, without permission in writing from the publisher.
Opening profile - Interests the reader in chapter material using a story. (Ex. - Beginning of module)
Know It, Speak It, Write It, Do It Exercises - Build skills in the context of chapter material. (Ex. - Know It, Speak It, and Write It are within text; Do It is at the end of the module)
Initial self-assessment (Status Check) - Gives students a chance to reflect on their knowledge and goals, and introduces students to topics they will read in the material. (Ex. - Beginning of module)
Friendly, practical tone and concise writing - Encourages reading without overloading with text. (Ex. - Throughout module)
TECHNOLOGY AND PEARSON CHOICES
MyStudentSuccessLab (www.mystudentsuccesslab.com) is an online solution designed to help students ‘Start strong, Finish stronger’ by building skills for ongoing personal and professional development. This Learning Outcome based technology promotes student engagement through:
· The Learning Path Diagnostic offers for the course, 83 Full Course Pre- and Post-Diagnostic (Bloom’s Taxonomy Levels I-VI) questions, and for each topic, 20 Pre- and Post-Test (Bloom’s Taxonomy Levels I-VI) questions.
· The Overview provides learning objectives to build vocabulary and repetition.
· Video interviews on key issues ‘by students, for students’.
· The Practice exercises improve class preparation and learning.
· Graded Activities build critical thinking skills and develop problem-solving abilities (includes Essays and Journaling).
· Instructors benefit from an Implementation Guide to easily assign and assess progress.
· Students have access to relevant FinishStronger247 YouTube videos, the Pearson student Facebook page chock full of tips, MySearchLab use for doing effective research, and more.
PearsonChoices - CourseSmart and Custom Publishing. Having choices for how to deliver course content is important.
· CourseSmart Textbooks Online is an exciting new choice for students looking to save money. As an alternative to purchasing the print textbook, students can subscribe to the same content online and save up to 50% off the suggested list price of the print text. With a CourseSmart e-textbook, students can search the text, make notes online, print out reading assignments that incorporate lecture notes, and bookmark important passages for later review. For more information, or to subscribe, visit www.coursesmart.com.
· Pearson Custom Publishing allows professors to create their own professionally produced customized textbooks and media products to best complement their course. We offer high-quality content, professional design, quick production, and reliable on-time delivery. The result is a valuable textbook that students will use, cover to cover, tailored to meet exactly the needs of the professor, students, and course. Visit www.pearsoncustom.com.
Learning Objectives for Keys to Success: Cultural Awareness and Global Citizenship:
What is cultural awareness?
How can I build cultural competence?
What is global citizenship?
How can I take action as a global citizen?
Pearson offers affordable and accessible purchase options to meet the needs of your students. Connect with us to learn more.
K12 Educators: Contact your Savvas Learning Company Account General Manager for purchase options. Instant Access ISBNs are for individuals purchasing with credit cards or PayPal.
Savvas Learning Company is a trademark of Savvas Learning Company LLC.
Carol Carter is a national and international student success author and speaker. She is a co-author of the Keys to Success series of student success and study skills textbooks, used by more than 200,000 freshmen each year throughout the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and China. Carol is also president of LifeBound, a student success and transition company which she founded ten years ago. Both with LifeBound and with the Keys to Success series, Carol’s goal is to prepare students for success in college and in the workplace.
Sarah Lyman Kravits has worked as a co-author on the Keys to Success series of textbooks for over fifteen years. A few years after graduating from the University of Virginia as a Jefferson Scholar, she worked as program director for LifeSkills, Inc., a nonprofit organization that aims to further the career and personal development of high school students. This work led her into co-authoring her first student success text and the realization that she was driven to empower students to reach their goals. She continues to work on the Keys to Success series in pursuit of her goal to support college students in their quest for learning.
We're sorry! We don't recognize your username or password. Please try again.
The work is protected by local and international copyright laws and is provided solely for the use of instructors in teaching their courses and assessing student learning.
You have successfully signed out and will be required to sign back in should you need to download more resources.