Mastering Public Speaking, 9th Edition
©2016 |Pearson | Available
George L. Grice, Radford University
John F. Skinner, San Antonio College
Daniel H. Mansson, San Antonio College
©2016 |Pearson | Available
For courses in Public Speaking
This package includes MyCommunicationLab®
Help Students Achieve Their Full Potential In Public Speech
Mastering Public Speaking shows students both the hows and the whys of public speaking using an instructional approach that positions the instructor as a “guide on the side” rather than a “sage on the stage.” By challenging students to make the decisions required of public speakers, the text empowers them to take responsibility for their own learning.
In its Ninth Edition, Mastering Public Speaking reflects the current twenty-first century realities that have altered our expectations of what a public speech can accomplish, including new media and emerging technologies. At the same time, the authors’ basic instructional approach remains focused on the key ingredients of effective speech, including sensitive audience analysis, adequate research, clear organization, and dynamic delivery.
Enhance learning with MyCommunicationLab
MyCommunicationLab for the Public Speaking course extends learning online, engaging students and improving results. Media resources with assignments bring concepts to life, and offer students opportunities to practice applying what they’ve learned. And MediaShare offers an easy, mobile way for students and instructors to interact and engage with speeches, visual aids, group projects, and other files. Please note: this version of MyCommunicationLab does not include an eText.
Mastering Public Speaking, Ninth Edition is also available via REVEL™, an immersive learning experience designed for the way today's students read, think, and learn. Learn more.
Enhance Learning with MyCommunicationLab®
MyCommunicationLab for the Public Speaking course extends learning online, engaging students and improving results. Media resources with assignments bring concepts to life, and offer students opportunities to practice applying what they’ve learned. Please note: this version of MyCommunicationLab does not include an eText.
One simple design for all courses
A comprehensive file upload tool
An online library of self-assessments for evaluating communication styles
Step-by-step guidance and structure for effective outlines
Everything you need to foster better writing, all in one place
Direct access to MyLab
Help Students Grasp Public Speaking Concepts with In-Chapter Learning Aids
Help Students Develop Effective Speech-Writing Skills
Prepare Students for Public Speaking Success
Equip Students with Additional Learning Tools
• Theory Into Practice reinforce the text’s instructional approach and help students to understand and apply communication concepts and strategies to enhance their public speaking competence
• Using an Audience Questionnaire (Appendix B) has been refined and moved from its previous location in Chapter 5. This new stand-alone topic allows instructors to assign it at the appropriate time in the semester or quarter.
• Developing Team Presentations (Appendix C) helps students apply what they’ve learned about giving individual speeches to preparing and delivering team presentations.
• Learning objectives in each chapter guide students on a clear learning path through the text
1. An Introduction to Public Speaking
2. The Ethics of Public Speaking
3. Speaking with Confidence
5. Analyzing Your Audience
6. Selecting Your Speech Topic
7. Researching Your Speech Topic
8. Organizing the Body of Your Speech
9. Supporting Your Speech
10. Introducing and Concluding Your Speech
11. Outlining Your Speech
12. Wording Your Speech
13. Delivering Your Speech
14. Using Presentational Aids
15. Speaking to Inform
16. The Strategy of Persuasion
17. Speaking to Persuade
18. Speaking on Special Occasions
Appendix A: Giving and Receiving Feedback
Appendix B: Using an Audience Questionnaire
Appendix C: Developing and Delivering Team Presentations
Appendix D: Sample Speeches
We're sorry! We don't recognize your username or password. Please try again.
The work is protected by local and international copyright laws and is provided solely for the use of instructors in teaching their courses and assessing student learning.
You have successfully signed out and will be required to sign back in should you need to download more resources.