Garde Manger: The Cold Kitchen
©2010 |Pearson | Out of print
Curtiss Scott Hemm, New England Culinary
©2010 |Pearson | Out of print
For courses in Garde Manger, Banquets & Catering, & Charcuterie.
This book was developed to increase the student’s understanding of garde manger, both as a style of cuisine and as a tool to enhance the efficiency and value of cookery. Emphasizing techniques of cooking over specific recipes, it covers a broad range of dishes–from cold sauces to plated appetizers to hors d’oeuvres. With a focus on creativity, it devotes separate chapters to the principles of plate presentation, buffet design, food art and sculpted centerpieces. Designed for the contemporary kitchen, it prepares students for a variety of situations, from a la carte menus to theme-based events, buffets and brunches.
Teaches students how to plan, prepare, and produce:
· Tea sandwiches
· Hors d’hoeuvres
· Salad dressings
· Plated Appetizers and amuse bouche and more!
Emphasizes techniques of cooking over specific recipes.
· Allows students to develop the fluency of a technique and then alter it in or out of the classroom to fit a situation or style of cuisine.
Includes preparation of cold foods, hot foods and hybrid hot-cold preparations.
· Prepares students for contemporary American kitchens where the garde manger is a separate station serving appetizers, plated salads and desserts.
Focuses on creativity and shows how to prepare foods which appeal to all the senses.
· Considers sight, smell, sound, taste, and texture in preparation and presentation.
Shows how to use decorative foods and centerpieces.
· Includes discussion of fruits, vegetables, ice tallow & salt dough.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Garde Manger
2. Mise en Place: Essential Techniques of The Garde Manger
3. Sauces, Salad Dressings, and Condiments
6. Smoking, Curing, and Preserving
8. Contemporary Charcuterie
9. Amuse-Bouche, Plated Appetizers & Hors d’Oeuvres
11. The Global Garde Manger
12. Principles of Plate and Platter Presentation
13. Buffets: Design, Production and Presentation
14. Food Art: Food Decoration and Garnishing
15. The Sculpted Centerpiece: Fruits, Vegetables, Ice, Tallow, and Salt Dough
BIBLIOGRAPHY & SUGGESTED READINGS
PRODUCT & EQUIPMENT RESOURCE
STANDARD MEASUREMENT AND CONVERSION CHARTS
Pearson offers affordable and accessible purchase options to meet the needs of your students. Connect with us to learn more.
K12 Educators: Contact your Savvas Learning Company Account General Manager for purchase options. Instant Access ISBNs are for individuals purchasing with credit cards or PayPal.
Savvas Learning Company is a trademark of Savvas Learning Company LLC.
We're sorry! We don't recognize your username or password. Please try again.
The work is protected by local and international copyright laws and is provided solely for the use of instructors in teaching their courses and assessing student learning.
You have successfully signed out and will be required to sign back in should you need to download more resources.