Beyond Brief Counseling and Therapy: An Integrative Approach, 2nd Edition
©2008 |Pearson | Out of print
Jack H. Presbury, James Madison University
Lennis G. Echterling, James Madison University
J. Edson McKee, James Madison University
©2008 |Pearson | Out of print
This practical text fully integrates theory and technique of brief counseling while presenting the relationship as the key to any successful intervention. All chapters include ideas and tools for brief counseling and case studies that take the reader step-by-step through the techniques of the first session and beyond. The text is written to engage readers and invite them to participate in both self-exploration and discovery.
Refers to the story again and again in order to provide readers with a deeper understanding of the ideas portrayed and to teach them how to practice the tools of brief counseling.
Offers a richer understanding of the case studies; expands each reader's self-awareness; increases reader insight into the change process.
Offers readers the opportunity to see how a brief counselor can work with clients whose stories are presented at the beginning of the chapters and invites readers to review the process, to reflect on dynamics, and to propose their own interventions.
Invites readers to explore their thoughts and reactions regarding the chapter story and other activities.
Encourages readers to practice skills and then discuss the activity. This will build confidence in the use of the techniques.
Blends Narrative, Solution Focused, Adlerian, Constructivism, and Rogerian theories in order to prepare readers to approach the material without having to disown their previous theoretical viewpoint.
1. Foundations of Brief Counseling: The Fly Bottle
2. The Centrality of the Counseling Relationship: No Magic Tricks
3. Empathy and Caring
4. Helping Clients Frame Goals: The Pull of the Future
5. Facilitating and Perturbing Change: Counseling and Chaos
6. Constructivist Counseling: Invented and Imposed Realities
7. Narrative Counseling: Clients' Lives as Stories
8. Meaningful Stories, Meaningful Lives
9. Brains, Emotions, Thoughts, and Counseling: Cool Reason and Hot-Wiring
10. Counseling People in Crisis: Promoting Resilience and Resolution
11. The Reflecting Team, Consulting Break, and Offering Suggestions
12. The “Brief Attitudes" and Consolidating Change
13. Humanistic Counseling and Working With Involuntary Clients
14. Other Brief Approaches and Theory as a Tool
Pearson offers affordable and accessible purchase options to meet the needs of your students. Connect with us to learn more.
K12 Educators: Contact your Savvas Learning Company Account General Manager for purchase options. Instant Access ISBNs are for individuals purchasing with credit cards or PayPal.
Savvas Learning Company is a trademark of Savvas Learning Company LLC.
We're sorry! We don't recognize your username or password. Please try again.
The work is protected by local and international copyright laws and is provided solely for the use of instructors in teaching their courses and assessing student learning.
You have successfully signed out and will be required to sign back in should you need to download more resources.